1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Controlling Volume on A85 & P85

Discussion in 'Arcam Owners' Forum' started by jtt1888, Oct 30, 2005.

1. jtt1888

jtt1888

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I use a A85, P85 and FMJCD23 for stereo as well as a Yamaha DSP750 for movies, sky etc. Is it possible to set the system up so that the yamaha amp controls the volume of all channels and in particular the hifi amps at similar initial volumes. I currently have to leave the arcam away up at aroung 60db before it becomes audible and comparitive to the yamaha at around 20db. My worry is that i change over to cd replay without turning the volume down on the a85 and possibly damage my front b&w 704's.I have alreadt forgot to adjust the volume once and the cd replay at 60db is deafening.

2. Ambo

Ambo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    Something sounds very wrong here!

I assume you're using the Yamaha front L/R pre-outs into the A85? If your A85 has the 'Processor/fixed' software you can fix the gain at a sensible level (to give you an example, mine was set at -15db when I had it-your 60db sounds way too high!!).

The Processor/fixed input is the tape loop input on the back. If your A85 does not have this I think it can be added with a software upgrade (check with Arcam tech support).

Once you fix the gain level at a sensible level you can even up all channels with a sound pressure meter (basically means you increase the output on the Yama front/left pre-outs). This would then allow your Yama volume control to increase output on both amps once you hit the Proc/Fixed (Tape) button on the A85. When you then return to CD replay and turn off the Proc/Fixed button, the Arcam should return to the volume before you switched in - mine used to switch back to -15db which is not too loud.

Another safeguard if you have a Pronto (or remote with macros) is to programme a macro that basicaly shuts down the DVD/receiver and switches back to CD/stereo with a number of 'Volume down' commands to bring the Arcam back to 'normal' levels.

Hope this helps. :smashin:

3. jtt1888

jtt1888

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Thanks for the response
    Yes i am using the l/r preouts on the yamaha but i dont appear to have the 'Processor/fixed' software or a tape loop input on the rear of the unit. I do have the tape button on the front panel but my manual indicates that this is for recording from tapes rather than adjusting gains.
    Do i need to send the am off to Arcam to get the software upgrade?
    I use an Arcam remote which doesnt have the macro function.
    Could it be that i have an older a85?

4. jtt1888

jtt1888

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    ive just noticed that the a85 has an input trim feature in the menu. I will have a look at this to see if i can balance the inputs from the cd player and the av amp.

5. Ambo

Ambo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    Sounds like you're using the pre-outs into the AV input rather than the Tape input of the A85? To be double sure re the software, try pushing the tape button to see if 'Proc/Fixed' comes up in the display as my manual didn't mention it either.

If it does then all you need to do is switch the phono leads to the 'Tape in' on the back (are you sure there is no 'Tape in'?)

The input trim will help, but still not ideal.

Re the software, not sure if it's a factory or a dealer upgrade. Ring Arcam support first & they'll tell you.

Good luck!

6. jtt1888

jtt1888

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Yes you are correct. I do have the phono leads into the av input rather than the tape input. The rear panel has a Tape 1 section with left/right record out and left/right play in sockets. There is also a vcr/tape 2 box with the same sockets but nothing with 'tape in' on it.
    I pressed the tape button on the front panel and the indicator changed from av to tuner. The proc/fixed did nit appear in the display.
    For your info i the software upgrade can only be done by Arcam so i think ill leave it and just hope that i remember to reduce the volume when switching to cd play back.
    With respect to the input trims do you think i should set the av to the lowest setting and the cd to the highest to reduce the imbalance or is it vice versa.

Thank you for your advice, its been most helpful.

7. Ambo

Ambo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    OK, sounds like an earlier model. The left/right play in sockets would be the ones to use if it had the processor option.

Anyway, if you go with the trims, you want to set AV trim high and CD low (i.e. when you hit the AV button the A85 will boost what's coming in so you don't have to turn it up as much to match your Yamaha and then when you hit the CD button it should do the reverse). But you still need to be careful doing this, it's not an ideal solution, so experiment with caution (and keep an eye on that volume display)!

Good luck :smashin: