1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Controlling STB from Panny E85

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by help_please, Jul 2, 2004.

1. help_please

help_please

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I got my Panny E85, and love it (although I managed somehow not to get a multiregion version - my fault, I think; disappointing but no disaster).

Found it easy to set up apart from one thing. The book seemed to be saying that you could get the Panny to change channels on the Sky Digibox with the right set-up. When I altered the settings as it suggested, I simply got a picture that was all green, so have gone back to the original set-up.

So... is there a way of getting it to change the STB channel? I use the Sky personal planner, but it's annoying because it tends to clip the start of programmes...

Any suggestions appreciated.

2. jxp

jxp
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I have an E100. I don't know if its the same as the E85 but I found I can't record from Sky by setting an AutoView and leaving the Sky box in standby (it just records the sound with a black screen).

What I do, is set an AutoView for the prior programme and leave the Sky box switched on. This then changes channels before the programme starts (hence not missing any) and records correctly.

3. help_please

help_please

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks. That's what I've been doing. Sky's personal planner is irritating though because when it's left to its own devices, it tends to switch over very late - sometimes even a few seconds after a programme has started.

A minor gripe, but when you may want to keep shows on DVD it would be nice not to have that "This programme is about to start" box all over them.

4. Digiman

Digiman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    You can multi region it (I did) with a chipped remote for £25.(dvdchips.co.uk)

5. help_please

help_please

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Had a brainwave about Sky's personal planner. Set it to switch over for the programme before - solving the blue box problem I hope. Obviously if programmes being recorded are back to back it won't make a difference, but these are minor gripes. Think the DVD/HDD is the best thing since sliced bread so far :)

As for the multi-region... didn't realise that. Presumably that would invalidate the warranty though? If so, I'll consider it when the guarantee has run out. I've made do without multi-region until now so I'll survive. Ta for the help though.

6. Digiman

Digiman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    "DVD/HDD is the best thing since sliced bread" - couldnt agree more. I bought an E60 but with effectively 2hrs per DVD its a right pain. The only good news is that I multiregioned that by mistake at the same time ;-) . As far as warranty goes they are unlikely to check it and because you havent opened it you may be OK. If you don't have any R1 disks the advantages of buying them are small. Some TVs flicker with PAL progressive (better at 60hz NTSC) but you can switch to PAL interlaced and usually avoid the problem with very little noticeable PQ loss.