1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

controlling sky...

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by papa_flump, Aug 8, 2005.

1. papa_flump

papa_flump

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Hi,

Anyone know of a way of controlling sky in the lounge whilst the set-top box is hidden away?

I have tried the magic/digi eye thingy in the second rf out, but that converts the picture to 4:3 (as per other tv's around the house) as opposed to the 16:9 (lounge only) ratio I was after.

apart from a cunning strategically placemed assortment of mirrors... or changing the settings for the second tv format each time, I think I'm stuffed!

2. pingu

pingu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    You can get IR distribution kits that come with a reciever (place in view somewhere), a controller and an emitter which you stick onto the Sky box's IR sensor.

E.g.:
    http://www.letsautomate.com/10065.cfm

This particular kit comes with a dual emitter so you can hide another box (e.g. DVD player) in the same cabinet if you want to

3. Parklife

Parklife

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    I don't see how the Magic eye changed the aspect of your main screen to 4:3. I have a magic eye in my bedroom and that does not change the aspect of my main tv. You still use your original scart connection for the main tv and set this up as 16:9. The magic eye will just let you change the channel, it will not alter the apsect.

4. stroppygoblin

stroppygoblin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I think this is an option only available on the sky+ boxes. You can determine what ratio your 2nd output feed is displayed at. Basically the assumption is you are watching upstairs on a portable so when you use the upstairs remote it will reconfigure to 4:3. (Obviously you can choose 16:9 if you have better kit elsewhere in the house)

The problem is that it's all or nothing for all the secondry feeds. All other sets will use 4:3 if that the setting. As the magic eye is being utilised to change the main set it will auto configure to whatever the ratio is set too.

Hobsons choice, either all other sets in the house are shown in 16:9 or the main set gets changed to 4:3

:thumbsdow

5. papa_flump

papa_flump

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Parklife... & stroppygoblin,

We do not have sky+ but sure enough the option to change the 2nd rf outlet is the cause of the problem... as stroppygoblin said as soon as you press a button on the sky remote it thinks your watching sky elsewhere & converts to the 2nd output option (4:3 in this case)

I do remember though that the 2nd output option never used to be available... must have been a firware upgrade or something as it's still the same old box!

what I needed was a magic eye that worked on the first rf outlet.

6. Parklife

Parklife

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    papa flump

I will give this some testing tonight and come back with the results. I am sure that if you have the main output set on 16:9 and your main TV connected through the scart then it will stay at 16:9. You should still be able to have remaining tvs at 4:3. All you are using is the channel changing capabilities and not actually taking the video feed off the RF2 output.

7. Parklife

Parklife

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Right just tested. Plugged the magic eye directly into my sky + RF2. Set the aspect of the 1st tv to 16:9 in the sky menu and the 2nd to 4:3. Covered up the front of the box to ensure that the magic eye was being used and turned on and off, changed channels and the aspect stayed at 16:9. The sky+ is connected to the tv by the RGB Scart.

Definitely works! Give it a try.

8. stevelup

stevelup

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +838
    Hi

There is either an error in your test methodology, or you misunderstand the problem.

It is absolutely impossible for the Sky box to output a 16:9 and a 4:3 signal at the same time as it only has a single MPEG decoder.

Here is what the RF2 16:9 / 4:3 option does. Nothing more, nothing less.

This is assuming you have your Sky box set to 16:9 on the primary and 4:3 on the secondary.

When you press the Sky button on the remote which is physically adjacent to the box, the Sky box will switch to 16:9 mode *if* the current broadcast is in 16:9. All your 4:3 TV's on the other RF outputs will now be displaying a picture which is squashed in the horizontal dimension.

When you press the Sky button on the remote which is connected via the RF2 eye, the Sky box will switch to 4:3 mode *if* the current broadcast is not already in 4:3 mode. At this point, your primary TV will now be showing a cropped 4:3 image.

The Sky box (nor indeed the Sky+ box) absolutely cannot display a 4:3 and a 16:9 image at the same time.

Regards,

Steve

9. stevelup

stevelup

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +838
    Just an addition which I forgot in my other post.

To solve the original poster's problem, all he needs to do is set both outputs to 16:9.

Steve