Controlling sky+hd box in a closed cupboard

tylerdurden1234

Novice Member
Reaction score
So I have a new wall mounted tv with closed cupboards containing the media bits.

I want the control the sky box without having to open the cupboard.

My understanding is that i need this

Triax Compact Magic Eye: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics

My question is whether that is all that is required? My reading suggests some cable will be required as well. I am not using this to control a second telly. Using it to control the main telly

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
It depends on the length of cable attaching the magic eye to its coax connector and distance to outside of cupboards - you may require coax extension to connect the connector to Sky box. Basically how long is a piece of string. Does your Sky box have RF2 output (latest boxes do not) if not you will require i/o adaptor as well.

No, that's all you should need to control your Sky box...not the telly.
You would only need an RF flylead if you were connecting your Sky box by RF to a Tv.
Have you checked if your Sky+HD box has RF out sockets as the latest model doesn't and requires purchase of a Sky I/O link (small black box with an RF in/out which plugs into a socket on rear of Sky box).

A Sky machine needs a lot of ventilation.
An alternative is a pair of wireless extenders.

The box has RF out.

There is a rear opening so plenty of ventilation

The cupboard is right next to the tv (just under it) so there is no issue as there is close proximity.

Thanks Ja

OK, purchased this from amazon
Triax Compact Magic Eye: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics

How and what do I connect to the RF of the skybox.

Apologies, I'm a real nooob with this stuff.

One of these ends connect to the sky box but what adapter do I need?

Ta

Attachments

• IMG_3687.JPG
    IMG_3687.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 217
— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
Yes, that will work as long as you have room between the rear of the Sky box and the back of the cupboard as it will stick out from the RF out.

You seem to have got the wrong type of device. It should have a simple coaxial plug.

No, I've seen that type with an F socket, they're pretty common, it should work okay.

It'll work fine, as would the type with one simple coaxial plug.:)

cheers, I went for this particular model as there was a web site recommending it for a v small magic eye rather than the standard fat baby.

Thanks

These 'mini' eye units are available with an f-type or regular aerial connection. I prefer the f-type fitting as it is a more robust connection, so use these for everything except the final connection into the tv aerial socket.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom