Controlling Sky HD and Sky+

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Control & Remote Controls' started by Bobman, Dec 31, 2006.

1. Bobman

Bobman
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    This post may well belong in the Sky section but it is a remote control issue.

I am locating Sky HD and Sky+ centrally and distributing through a switch. HornyDragon did already tell me that there would be a conflict problem when using a simple magic eye solution. The Sky+ remote also controls Sky HD but not the other way around.

Can anyone suggest a reasonable solution, price wise, to being able to control each box independantly? I have coax running to each location which I am currently using to carry the remote signal and would like to be able to use it for remote control. There is also a single wire in my multi-core coax cable that is not used if that helps.

Any help appreciated - and thanks so far HornyDragon for pointing out that this would be a problem.

2. Bobman

Bobman
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I thought this was worth a bump!

3. simon1

simon1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    Have a look at my reply here

4. Bobman

Bobman
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi Simon1

I was thinking this thread was in the dirt - lost - no solution etc, etc.

I owe you a very big thanks. I was starting to look at £500 solutions. No one was able to point me to what you did.

Forever grateful. If I can ever help PM me.

5. simon1

simon1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    I was just as delighted when I first found this device!

To give you a better understanding of the product, now that I've learnt...........

First of all, you need to decide which box is the most appropriate to connect the device to. Is it the HD box, or the the ordinary Sky+.

I made the mistake of buying the cheaper version (aprox £35), and had to exchange it for the £45 one. The £35 one only works when connected to the Sky+ box. It does not work when connected to the HD box.

You MUST block the IR sensor of the box you're connecting the device to. You will need several layers of electrical tape (one isn't enough, as the sensor is very sensitive). To make things neater, I took the casing apart and blocked the sensor internally.

Once the device (and remote) is setup correctly (instructions included), it will filter out the commands from the other remote. Don't forget to switch on the RF2 socket on the Sky menu.

If you google Skyeye, you will find a site dedicated to this device. This seems to belong to the owner/inventor of the product. He seems to know an awful lot about it. I asked for advice and the response was very good.

6. Bobman

Bobman
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Thanks again Simon1

I have just sent an email to them.