Controlling Mac mini with iPad?

littlesheepy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a wifi and 3G iPad and am considering buying the new Mac mini. Does anybody know if you can use the iPad to control the Mac mini and use it as a mouse/keyboard to save buying a separate mouse and keyboard? If so, how do people do so and what app do you use?:smashin:

Screen Sharing + the official VNC App does it for me :smashin:

Plus the Remote App for when I just need audio control.

And if I'm not at home connected to WiFi, I use LogMeIn Pro.

A little something for every occasion :smashin:

Blimey, really something for everything! Thanks :)
Out of interest, i'm thinking of leaving the mac mini either constantly switched on or in some sort of sleep/hibernation mode of possible. If i do leave it 'asleep' can it be woken up remotely to use these apps, any idea? :smashin:

What do you mean by the "official" VNC app?

It depends what your going to be using the Mac Mini for really!

If it's going to be mainly for video content/surfing etc connected to a TV/monitor then there are a few mouse/keyboard apps that work reasonably well, I use one called 'Mobile Mouse' that cost £1.79 - It does the job, but to be honest I find it easier to use on my iPhone, the iPad screen is just that bit too big to use as a mouse (although I may get used to it). This app does wake your Mac from sleep, so does Apples 'Remote'.

My Mini is mainly used for Music (iTunes/Spotify etc) so I tend to use a VNC program as above because it saves having to turn the TV on that I have the Mac connected to. I'm currently using 'Desktop Connect' that cost £6.99 and it works very well and will also wake the Mac from sleep.

If it's going to be used as a work machine i'd buy a proper keyboard/mouse!

It depends what your going to be using the Mac Mini for really!

If it's going to be mainly for video content/surfing etc connected to a TV/monitor then there are a few mouse/keyboard apps that work reasonably well, I use one called 'Mobile Mouse' that cost £1.79 - It does the job, but to be honest I find it easier to use on my iPhone, the iPad screen is just that bit too big to use as a mouse (although I may get used to it). This app does wake your Mac from sleep, so does Apples 'Remote'.

My Mini is mainly used for Music (iTunes/Spotify etc) so I tend to use a VNC program as above because it saves having to turn the TV on that I have the Mac connected to. I'm currently using 'Desktop Connect' that cost £6.99 and it works very well and will also wake the Mac from sleep.

If it's going to be used as a work machine i'd buy a proper keyboard/mouse!

Thanks very much. It's going to be most the odd little bit of surfing, downloading and burning/converting discs. Will probably also end up watching avi's on there too seen as it'll be connected to my tv :)
Now ordered and very impatiently waiting for it to arrive!
Think I'll wait until it arrives and see how I get on with it straight off then investigate the ones mentioned from there :)
It'd be great to wake it from sleep, especially if I can do this remotely and then use it to stream to my iPad!?
Have ordered an official apple wireless keyboard too, just because they look so damn nice :D
What is a VNC or it stand for? :smashin:

VNC stands for Virtual Network Computing, courtesy of Google.

I use LogMeIn Ignition from the App Store and it rocks! Not tried VNC though to compare as well happy with LMI tbh.

Excellent, thanks :smashin:
Can't wait to get my Mac and give it a go. Should arrive next Wednesday, fingers crossed :)

Is logmein Pro the same as Logmein Ignition??

I couldn't find Pro on itunes...

Ignition is the name of the iPad/iPhone App and Pro is the name of the service available to use online via your browser. You need to add a service in order to use the App, but there is a free basic version that comes with a month's free trial of Pro. Does that make sense?

Is logmein Pro the same as Logmein Ignition??

I couldn't find Pro on itunes...

That's my fault entirely... as bpsmith quite rightly says, LogMeIn Pro is the name of the service... LogMeIn Ignition is the App that you need, which can use the LogMeIn Pro or Free service to connect. You don't need Pro, the free service works just as well for what's been asked in this thread :smashin:

I have the free trial of Pro for the first month, and actually dont think I have used any of the services that the free version offers.

Not been providing any tech support for people so far though. Could change if that was the case.

I just stumbled over the Whiteboard feature last night, and that would rock for offering support to friends and family. You get to use a red marker style tool to draw anywhere over the screen and show people how to do stuff. Well useful for remote support.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom