1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Controlling IR/serial Barco/lighting/screen etc FROM HTPC

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by Rob.Screene, Jul 17, 2002.

1. Rob.Screene

Rob.Screene

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    Does anyone have experience of obtaining and using an outgoing remote controller from a HTPC?

Basically I'm happy to use the HTPC as a remote control hub and I don't like the LCD touch-screen pronto type remote controls.

I've read about the Nirvis Slink-e http://www.nirvis.com/index.html and it's power-buy interest list at
    http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=135213&highlight=slinke+remote+ir

I think this can be controlled FROM the Girder freeware.

What sort of price in the UK?

Can it control a Barco 808s?

Alternatively, can the Barco be controlled relatively easily using direct serial RS232?

The core requirement is power on/off from the HTPC, secondary is to be able to use a non-Barco (non-pronto) remote control via the HTPC/Girder to replace the Barco remote.

Did I read about an earthing/voltage difference issue between the HTPC serial port and the Barco? Anyone know more?

Ideally itwould also control other IR devices, such as the amp and IR lighting too.

I've also found another interface box by Marata at http://www.marata.co.uk/Downloads/MCU300_ Spec _Sheet.pdf which looks like it may take RS232 and have an IR output.

I guess there's also the professional Crestron and X10 solutions, but they'd be expensive for a simple 1-room projector and lighting control application, right?

thanks and regards,
    Rob.

2. Rob.Screene

Rob.Screene

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    I've also found that there's a pre-built sender/receiver called UIRT2 available from Luc on the Girder forum. http://www.girder.nl/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=1430

There's an external and internal version available. The internal version has phono sockets for the external receiver and two emitters, plus it uses a wake-on-lan connector, so should allow any remote control to power-up the HTPC.

Any thoughts appreciated.
    Rob.

3. ReTrO

ReTrO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    Rob

The MCU300 will respond to an IR input and give a RS232 output, not not currently the other way around.

The IR output will currently only work as a pass through from the IR input and feed direct to a hardwired input that will accecpt RC5 etc.

4. Rob.Screene

Rob.Screene

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    Hi ReTrO,
    I ended up buying a pre-buit external and internal UIRT2 from Luc, but my Pentium4 montherboard lacks the WOL connector to allow power for it, and there were firmware problems preventing Denon av amp codes being learnt, so I didn't bother making a new supply cable.

I use a serial rs232 cable direct from com2 to the barco 808s and it works brilliantly, on, off, menu control, switch on and input5, pause, etc.

I think the plug-n-play USB UIRT2 IR sender/receiver kit from jon rhes, with girder is probably a simple option to use nowerdays at $75 USD shipped.

http://home.earthlink.net/~jrhees/USBUIRT/

I must get round to ordering one, it's just that the IRman is working so well,. Still, I could use the USB UIRT2 as just a sender, not an input device keep the IRman to stay close to the standard that Bob Sorel is trying to create.

regards,
    Rob.

5. nfordenfield

nfordenfield
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I too am looking for a similar solution.

I want to be able to use bluetooth/WiFi to the HCPC then be able to "resend" the associated IR codes to the equipment in the Cinema Room.

ATI remote wonder was a possible simple fix but want us a PDA

6. Rob.Screene

Rob.Screene

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    I think Girder has a tcp/ip input client, if you get that going with a simple Say, then I'm sure you could get a UIRT2 and it's plug-in to then do the pre-learnt IR transmit.

Not strictly IR signals over IP, but it's close.

Rob.

7. BBD

BBD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I'm interested in this type of control as well. I like the fact that its USB which frees up my RS232 port for my X10 interface. Also used with Girder I think it could also be used as a red dot killer for sky.

Is it worth considering a power buy to at least save on the shipping?

I'm off on holiday for a week from tomorrow but would like to register an interest in any joint purchase/power buy.

8. ReTrO

ReTrO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    Xantech do a RS232 to IR convertor, called RS232TOIR I think. No idea of a price.

9. Caveat

Caveat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Your Barco poses the biggest problem for IR. Roland could explain why, but not many learning remotes can send the appropriate codes, pronto being one of the few. But if youve already got com2 controlling the Barco I would definitely stick with that - I never managed to get this to work for me, do you use a null modem, or a standard rs232?

Ive used a redrat IR sender with girder, but it always had about .5sec delay, which made it uncomfortable to use, and the driver was dropped in girder3.2.

IR suffers from not being bi-directional - you can control the equipment, but you dont get any data back - what track is playing, whats next etc. So a while back I built a web based remote control app, that used a web server to send TCP/IP commands to girder which in turn sends IR from the red rat or controls apps directly. The idea being to be able to use any web browser to display/control it - I had bought a 3Com Audrey, but had aspirations to a pocket pc. Eventaully I had it listing my mp3 collection on the client, allowing random access to any track, control of DVD player, etc and sending IR out to the amp and barco.
    If youre into PHP and fiddling youre welcome to have a look, but it was built for an older version of Girder, and would need some tweeking now.
    [​IMG]

10. Rob.Screene

Rob.Screene

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45