Controlling HDanywhere Multiroom+ 4x4 HDBaseT Matrix

Jagjit

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I am wanting to install a HDanywhere Multiroom+ 4x4 HDBaseT Matrix without connecting to a automation system such as Control 4 or crestron.

Is there a way to change the source via a web interface or iPad/iPhone app?

All the devices I will connect to it have iPad apps (Apple TV, 2x Sky+HD, Media PC) so I don't see the need to spend thousands on a control system.

Kind Regards
Jagjit

Hi Jagjit

This is my first ever post.

Maybe you could use IP to IR unit, like the ones made by Global Cache.

Then download DemoControl HD - priced at £27.99. There would be some programming involved, but it is a cheaper option than a control system.

Lee.

Thanks Lee,

This is definitely something I will look into as they also support IP to Serial (RS-232) which is what the HDanywhere box connects to automation systems.

I am about to use a Logitech Harmony 900 in each room and I can then control any of the devices, including the Matrix from the same handset, using the IR pass-back over the Cat cable to the Matrix.

Phil

Hey PBC I have a question about the harmony controlling source input. Assuming you have the matrix hidden away in another room...

Lets say you are watching cable which is input 1 ... when you shoot the IR command to switch to htpc input 2 ... does the matrix intercept the commands and process them internally... OR do you have to rig the input 1 blaster so that it hits the IR receiver on the matrix itself?

The only other matrix I've used is the avatrix which had sweet internal processing of the input selection.. I'm afraid that the hdanywhere is doing input selection through blasters and receiver? Does this sound right?

If this is true its going to be very hard to rig the single blaster for each input source to be able to hit its source + the matrix ir receiver in a rack!

Last edited:
My understand, which wont be confirmed until I unbox my Matrix (waiting for the builders to finish) is the HD Anywhere processes its control IR internally and doesn't need the IR blasted back at the unit. The only blasting that goes on is to the attached devices.

My set-up will be the TV and Harmony remote in a room, with the harmony sending the IR, via RF, to the harmony blaster in a cupboard with an AVR and the Matrix receiver. IR will then be sent down the Cat5e to my Matrix and devices located in the garage. It should work :)

I think you will be disappointed... I have the generic version of the 4x4 hdanywhere (hank electronics from china) and it requires IR to be blasted at the unit to change source input.

Can anybody confirm this?

PBC you are correct.

The HDanywhere Multiroom+ SingleWire systems DO NOT require IR to be blasted at it.

It recognises the IR command to switch source internally.

The IR routing electronics that HDanywhere units use are actually built and inserted here in the UK, not China.

Last edited:
Thanks for the clarification Jamie S... I guess thats one reason to spend more than double the price :)

So you can change the input from any zone ? So say I can be in output zone 1 .. and change source input of output zone 2 ?

Last edited:
If you wanted to yes. Depending on what remote you use, whether you use an additional hub remote (Additional 4x4 HDMI BaseT Matrix Remote - Buy online from HD Connectivity) or a programmed universal remote, you can control what source is being viewed in at any screen location, from any screen location.

Personal preference: if it was me though, I would just programme the universal remote to control what I am watching that room only.

Plan to use iRule as my remote for my multiroom system.

Using the 4x4 HDanywhere HDbaseT matrix (just got it yesterday from HdConnectivity - thanks for the fast shipping to the US!)

Basically, locating all my source devices in a closet in the center of my house and have 4 TV's located in different rooms. I have 4 Cat6a STP going to each source location.

I can't quite wrap my head around what I need to connect the HDanywhere box to the iRule device. I have seen a mention of the R232 port. My plan, and please correct me if I am wrong, is to use the Wifi/Serial Global Cache to connect to the HDanywhere.

My understanding is that this will then let me control everything at the 4 different locations

iRule looks very similar to the DemoControl HD software in which you need to also purchase IP to IR or IP to Serial modules.

At the moment I am thinking that the Logitech remote would be the best option as can use one remote for all. I know you can program iPads and iPhones for this but then you have to contend with the brightness of the screen and looking at the device to do simple operations like flicking through channels and changing the volume.

All going into a new build house so still got about 6 months before the actual install.

Can a HDMI splitter be used to go to a TV and Projector from the output of a HDBaseT receiver?

Does it matter if i use the serial versus ir itach controller?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom