1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Controlling bass levels on Denon 500 and 550

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by JohnsonChris, Feb 15, 2005.

1. JohnsonChris

JohnsonChris

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all,

Just a quick question before I look to purchase one of the denon's (500 or 550). I'm going to install it into my bedroom - and that's where the problem hits, it's a small space and I'm currently using a pair of Wharfdale Flat Panel NXT speakers. These come with a separate passive sub. The problem is that it's far too overpowering for the room, when listening to music the bass smothers the flat panels and intrudes on the midrange. There is no way I can reduce the level at which the sub kicks in, or the stength of it.

Do the Denon's allow you to fine tune the bass, if so is it on only the 550 because it's an active sub? or can I still control it on the cheaper 500?

Cheers,
    Chris

2. nathanhill69

nathanhill69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    On the 500 you can knock the subs channel level back by 10dB, and actually it benefits from being knocked back by around 5dB compared to the rest of the channels.

Nathan

3. Judders

Judders
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Chris,

I've got a 500, so can't comment on the 550, but the centre/surrounds on the 500 are fairly strong. So, with a bit of tweaking the system sounds well balanced.

One question though - how big is your bedroom? My 500 more than fills my 26'x14' lounge, at way less than full power. As much as I love it, I'd never buy one for the bedroom. It'd be total overkill IMHO.

Jud

4. JohnsonChris

JohnsonChris

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all - thanks the prompt reply,

Jud, I know what you mean - the bedroom space is smaller than the the lounge space you're talking about, but I figure I'm buying a plasma for this room - and both units will be moved eventually into a lounge setup.

But .... taking your comments onboard - For a smaller room setup is there a more suitable and cheaper alternative to the 500 (I can always buy a newer audio setup later on)?

Cheers,
    Chris

5. Judders

Judders
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Now there's a question! When I was researching HC systems, every avenue took me back to the Denon :rolleyes: If you're going to move them to the lounge in the future anyway - I'd stick with the Denon. :thumbsup:

6. JohnsonChris

JohnsonChris

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    perfect - cheers everyone.