1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Controlling an amp from another room

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Control & Remote Controls' started by Bert Coules, Sep 14, 2003.

1. Bert Coules

Bert Coules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +119
    Forgive the extremely basic question, but I've no experience at all in this area...

I want to be able to control the volume of my Denon amp from another room - specifically, the bathroom. I'm planning to install a couple of small speakers in said bathroom, fed from the secondary output of the Denon, and though I don't want to go down the full home-automation route, I would like to have local control over the volume.

I reckon that with careful use a basic learning remote will be safe enough in the bathroom; but is there a simple way of routing the remote signal to the site of the amp? If so, is the sending device, whatever it is, of a form which I can mount unobtrusively in the walls?

Alternatively, is there any way of permanently hard-wiring a volume control between the amp output and the speakers?

Many thanks in advance.

Bert
    www.bertcoules.co.uk

2. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,389
    From what I know you have 2 options (probably more though!).

1. get a remote that works with an RF receiver. Set the remote to transmit Rf and set up the RF receiver to point at the Denon.
    Pro: No other device other than the remote required in the bathroom.
    Con: only on expensive remotes such as Pronto Pro/ Marantz RC9200

2. Get a remote extender from somewhere like www.maplin.co.uk
    Pro: cheaper than above remotes.
    Con: Need to install in wall etc. Needs lone of sight from remote.

Mark.

3. Bert Coules

Bert Coules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +119
    Mark,

Thanks for the thoughts.

I do have (and use) a Pronto Pro, but I wouldn't be over-anxious to play with it near a bath full of water. I'll look into the remote extender.

Edited to add:

I've just come across this...

http://www.lektropacks.co.uk/product/technical.asp?dept_id=111&sku=154&Hash=154

...a local stereo volume control which can be wall-mounted in a standard double-gang box. There's no information in the spec on its suitability for bathrooms, but it's obviously worth investigating. The single knob looks a bit lost in the middle of the double-socket-sized faceplate, but doubtless there are ways round that.

Bert
    www.bertcoules.co.uk