1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Controlling Active Speakers

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by fade, May 12, 2004.

1. fade

fade
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    My current speakers are a bit under-amped, but instead of shelling out big money for a better amp, I was considering selling the lot and starting from scratch with active speakers.

But this is only a thought. How the heck do you control say...4 active speakers at once... if using pre-outs, surely the volume from the receiver is constant and you must use the volume controls on the speakers themselves? Is this the case? I know it probably isn't as this would be crazy...so how DO you control the overall volume level?

Also, would selling my current (sr5200) receiver worthwhile, would it be useless in such a setup?

Thanks

2. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,671
    If the multichannel outs from the receiver are controlled by the master attenuator,then you have the answer to your problem.....if not,then you're a bit stuck,as most active speakers do not have volume controls/attenuators included.

Ideally what you would use is a processor instead of a receiver,and there should be something to suit most budgets......what did you have in mind?.....going the active route,especially with ATC or Meridian,will not be cheap.

3. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,425
    AFAIK the output on the preouts on all receivers will be adjusted by the volume control. My 3802 volume controls the Arcam amps for DVD/TV (see sig below) viewing which then drive my front L&R speakers.
    If you are happy with the processing of your receiver &/or you don't have the funds to replace it all at once then keep the receiver for now and upgrade to a processor at a later date. Certainly the weak link in my system is the amps in the 3802.

Mark.

4. fade

fade
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I wasn't thinking of an expensive setup like ATC or meridian. I was maybe things 2 mackie mr0624 (£320 each), and 2 cheaper actives for rears, 4 point, with the center channel sent to L&R.

Current setup is just too warm, witheld and boring for music, fine for movies though i guess.

5. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,671
    One route you may like to consider is looking at older Meridian actives.....M3's can be found for under £300 and whilst quite old now,still have a superb sound,which should give the Mackies a good run for the money.