Controlling a Samsung TV remotely (for someone with dementia)

ademanuele

Standard Member
My mum has dementia and lives on her own. She is finding it increasingly difficult to find channels and I wonder whether it is possible to change channels remotely?

The TV is a Samsung UE48JU7000TXXU

There is an iMac in the room where the TV is located and on the same network as the TV. Are there any Mac apps that will enable me to control the TV and which will allow me to change channels (I can remotely log into the iMac)?

Thanks in advance...

Jamie

Distinguished Member
Do you have a smartphone?

I use a Broadlink RM Mini device which is an internet connected IR device that works remotely.

Amazon product
It has a basic database of IR commands in the app but it can also learn IR commands by pointing the original remote at it. It would require WiFi being available at your mum's though

ademanuele

Standard Member
Thanks Jamie. My mum does not have a smart phone so this solution would not work, I will need to change the channels from a remote location. However, the idea of an IR hub/device that plugs into a iMac will work if there is such a thing?

Jamie

Distinguished Member
I was asking if YOU had a smartphone, not your mum. The broadlink app connects to the device via the cloud, your mum would still use the original remote but you could also use the Broadlink device to control remotely as necessary.

ademanuele

Standard Member
Ah, sorry, not familiar with this. I have an iPhone. So I could use this solution to change channels from my home using this device?

Jamie

Distinguished Member
Yes.

The device itself has a transparent top where it scatters the IR signal from. Mines not actually that close to the TV and the signal bounces around enough to control it
In the pictures below the RMMini is tucked away on the shelf under my amp and still reliable controls the amp and the TV.

IMG_20210325_084055.jpg
IMG_20210325_084104.jpg

Jamie

Distinguished Member
It should do. For a really cheap device it does what I need very well.

One thing to be aware of the WiFi is 2.4G and doesn't like connecting to WiFi that shares the same name for 2.4G and 5G.
It'll be fine if the bands are named separately but you may need to temporarily disable 5G WiFi or at least set them to different SSID names, you can switch it back once the RMMini is connected.

ademanuele

Standard Member
Thanks for the tip. Annoying that some devices do not play nicely with Wifi networks. I am having a similar issue with a Sonos One, feedback from Sonos is similar (doesn't like connecting to WiFi that shares the same name for 2.4G and 5G).

The latest video from AVForums

Sony A90J & A80J OLED and X90J & X95J BRAVIA XR TV Line-up & Features: Sony Interview
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom