1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Controllers - Any Good???

Discussion in 'PC Gaming & Rigs' started by WBC, Apr 19, 2005.

1. WBC

WBC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Guys,

I've always played PC games with a KB & Mouse. Since purchasing my Xbox I've naturally only used a pad. I'm thinking of going back to a PC for gaming but would do it on my TV, in my living room on a HTPC.

What are gamepads like on a pc nowadays, they used to be crap but I'm talking 4/5 years ago?!!!

************** EDIT *************************************

I am talking more from a playability point of view. I haven't played any PC games for a while but whenever I tried, say, Medal of honour with a pad it was a nightmare.

Perhaps my question should be;

Have games sorted themselves out for gamepad use????

Thanks
    Stace

2. finlab

finlab
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Get a sony dualshock and a usb converter. The best out of all the gamepads I've used.
    (not sure if you get an xbox equivalent)

3. dynamic turtle

dynamic turtle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    OK, just ordered one Finlab (smartjoy plus). I hope you're right!!

DT

4. finlab

finlab
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I only use mine for pes 4 but it SO much better than all the usb pc pads I used

5. Pbryanw

Pbryanw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +101
    I bought one of the best controllers you can buy for a PC, the Saitek P880 Dual Analog Pad, and later dumped it for a PS2 dualshock controller (ebay) and USB converter (Super JoyBox3 from http://www.consoleplus.co.uk/). The PS2 controller was loads better than the Saitek and I can't imagine there are any better native PC controllers out there. As finlab said, using dualshock to play PES4 is the way it's meant to be played. Plus you get rumble capabilities as well with the right converter.

6. finlab

finlab
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    got my converter from Play.
    Good price and does have rumble

7. jamesrickards

jamesrickards

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    logitech do a great playstation 2 rumble pad ( wireless version also availiable!)
    USB only but its the best one around on the market (about £24)

8. WBC

WBC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Guys,

How do the likes of Halo2, PGA etc play on a controller attached to a PC.

If I recall PGA used to be naff with a controller on the PC (its cool with an xbox)?? but was the nutz with the mouse!!

Thanks
    Stace

9. keaton

keaton

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Buy the XBOX to USB cord from game, less than 4 quid. It comes with a cd with driver and ALL of the buttons show up and are detectable. Even the white and black, you can even set different comands for slightly depressed and fully depressed L and R buttons. Some configurations are better than others, I find the xbox pad the best for n64 emulation, as all buttons can be easily mapped (except the Z trigger, which I have as L if the game has L do the same thing as R, or the "click" in on the left stick). I would still buy this cord even if you are buying a ps2 to usb, as you can return it if you don't like it and if you do you will know what it is like playing pc games with an xbox pad!

10. Solar

Solar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +477
    back to the main question
    Driving games, football games, emulation then a pad is a must have for a pc
    FPS and strategy games are still pants with pads as they were 5 years ago :thumbsup:
    i would never trade my keyboard and mouse for a pad when playing COD

11. WBC

WBC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Solar,

Thanks for answering the question............trouble is that wasn't the answer I was hoping :D:thumbsdow;)

Lets hope they sort out FPS!! Are the problems still with mapping?

Its bizarre, Medal of Honour on the PC (with KB & Mouse) was the nutz. On the Xbox it was utter garbage (and the Xbox has some top quality FPS games that are fantastically controlled).

The PC is clearly capable of pad control, I can't understand its issues with FPS. Does the industry just assume we all use KB & Mouse? If so that attitude needs to change, a PC is not longer a beige box under a desk. With more and more people moving towards kit that will sit silently in their living room with TV/Projection capability and 5.1 sound then someone needs to have a rethink!!

I wonder if its down to the porting and whether they can be ar$ed to put any effort in????? Lets hope things change!!

What do'ya think?
    Stace

12. Solar

Solar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +477
    oh you was thinking in terms of support and compatibility, there are plenty of programs around that let you map pad buttons to the keyboard and mouse movement to the analogues.
    But when your getting shot in the back would you prefer to instantly spin round and shoot back or risk being killed every time waiting for you character to turn ?

13. WBC

WBC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    So where does the issue lie?

You don't have any of those issues with a console, playing any FPS game!

14. PiePie

PiePie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I use a PS Dual Shock pad, and it's the most reliable pad I've ever used for the PC. The only problem I have had is that ZSNESw suffers incredible slowdown with it plugged in, but, I think that's related to non-intel chipset motherboards, IIRC.

Oh, and Unreal Tournament doesn't recognise the right analogue stick for some reason.

If Nintendo has completely revolutionised it's ideas towards gaming technology and control inputs, it seems likely that other companies will follow suit as has happend in the past with the shoulder buttons on the SNES pads becoming standard and all. If this is the case then PC periferal manufacturers may follow. The industry is starting to specifcly tailor for PC gamers now, with specially designed mice for FPS games and all. I can't imagine a mouse input being replaced though, apart from tablet type inputs, they're the most precise way of controlling something in an analogue environment. Webcam type technologies might work, but they're currently treated like novelties and I don't know how precise and efficient they are, as with those gaming glove thingumies.

15. Solar

Solar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +477
    are you using the play.com 2 pad adapter ? it doesnt work well with zsnes and like you said it lags.
    The boom n64/psx adapter i ordered from liksang works great with zsnes :thumbsup:

16. PiePie

PiePie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It's a RockFire adaptor -apparently-. The manual and drivers that came with the adaptor are designed for a PC gamepad called Rockfire USB Sky Shuttle, so it looks like they've used the hardware in this make of pad to make an interface for a PSX pad

17. betamac

betamac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well i guess that depends on your point of view, most PC gamers will tell you that you do get that problem with consoles, personly i hate FPS on consoles, you just dont get the same level of control on a controller as Keyboard and mouse

But everyone has different ideas.

18. WBC

WBC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Clearly swings and roundabouts!!!

I agree at the moment, KB & Mouse have without doubt the edge but you have to sit at your desk to play it!

I gotta say, with the exception of a few, FPS on a console.......in your living room.......on a decent screen..........with a cold beer, lounging on the sofa pips the post for me!

I'd just wish I could do it with a pc!
    Stace:D

19. betamac

betamac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :) well if you build yourself a nice HCPC for the living room with a wireless mouse and keyboard you can be playing PC FPS on the couch

I know i am hooked upto Plasma and your set Half Life 2 looks superb.

Although theres no doubt it costs alot more to get setup like that than it does with a console

20. WBC

WBC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Not too worried about cost, just want the functionality.

How do you use a mouse on the couch?

Stace

21. dynamic turtle

dynamic turtle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Well, I'm completely dissapointed with my PS2 adapter. None of my games recognise the right thumbstick, so I have to "look" with the mouse when playing FPS!!!! How crap is that? Can't seem to find any way around it :-(

Oh well, back to keyboard & mouse......

22. danvitale

danvitale

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +114
    I recommend the Saitek P880 pad. £20 but its very solid and playable. good software with it too.

23. betamac

betamac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I Use the http://www.gyration.com/ultragt-compact.htm

Set, and its great, i use the mouse on the chair arm (i guess your sofa etc has to have a nice cheair arm for that to work) and the keyboard on my lap, very comfotable position and the response from the gyration is superb (i had a bluetooth set before that and was not impressed)

24. Hillskill

Hillskill
    Moderator/Games Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,320
    I have a logitech gamepad which I bought to use with Half Life 2. The game won't even register the gamepad being attached (though I do get a "Sound" from windows) Can I even use this pad with this game ? In fairness alot of mates have said that Keyboard and mouse control is better.

25. Scaleyback

Scaleyback

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    I wouldn't be without my Nostromo N52. :D

Once the buttons are programmed for your games and you get used to using it, a keyboard is no match.