1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

controling a pc remotely via another pc

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by Gary Lightfoot, Jul 16, 2003.

1. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,016
    What I'd like to do is to be able to control another pc box which has no mouse, keyboard or monitor attached via my main pc.

VNC is a piece of software that can do this apparently, so that looks like an option, but I was wondering if this facility is available via Windows XP.

XP seems to have some remote help software similar to VNC built in, but not having tried it, I've no idea how good it will be.

What I'll want to be able to do is run a CD burner and copy files across mostly (it'll be networked to 2 other pcs), with the hard drive being used to store media files. I want the box out of the way so that it's unobtrusive, and only needs access to put a cd in for burning now and again.

I'd like to be able to use the box as if I was using it via it's own mouse etc, and see it on my main pc monitor as if I was sitting in front of it.

Any ideas appreciated.

TIA

Gary.

2. RobsterD

RobsterD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    What about Symantec's PC Anywhere via direct connection I was doing this when I only had one monitor while I was setting up my new PC,just make sure the app loads on startup.

3. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,016
    does it work via a network?

4. BBD

BBD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Having tried VNC and the XP version of Remote Assistance I now always use VNC. I use it to access two PCs from my laptop. I think VNC it easier to set-up and to use. If you are using XP then you can use both for free so why not try both!

5. Branxx

Branxx
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Check Accessories/Communications/Remote Desktop Connection.

6. Thrash

Thrash
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If the PC you want to control has XP Pro on it, enable it for remote desktop then any other PC can connect to it. This lets you have the desktop of the server on your client PC, giving total control of everything, even down to being able to run applications on it, close it down etc etc. Very simple to set up and use and works very well. I use my laptop to control 2 PC's upstairs with great results.

7. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,016
    Cheers guys.

I'll be getting the box together on sunday after i get a case for it, so I'll try XP Pro first, and see how I get on.

Is it simple to set up the pc to not have problems when it finds it doesn't have kb/mouse and monitor attached? I guess it's a bios thing?

Cheers.

Gary.

8. RobsterD

RobsterD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    PC anywhere can be used via serial direct conn,modem or via a network conn,I use it @ work for remote access to servers it works a treat.

9. Jeff

Jeff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +256
    The one in XP is actually very good and free if your are already running XP, worth a try.

10. SeaneyC

SeaneyC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +54
    I find the main problem i find with XP Pro's built in Remote Desktop is that it will log the user out on the remote PC, and it also requires a password for the user account on the PC you wish to control. I use VNC now and it's much better, however, i'm looking for something a bit faster, as the update on XP and VNC is painfully slow. I even heard rumours of a Remote Control that will pass video, i will have to investigate further.

11. TEK

TEK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Remote Admin (radmin.com) - Been using this for several years now and haven't found anything that come close :)

12. John_N

John_N

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You can use;

Remote Admin
    Terminal services client
    Netmeeting

or the VNC one. Remote admin is pretty good.

13. meep

meep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +46
    Remote Desktop works well. And there is now a client for Macintosh so you can view and manipulate your PC from your OSX destop - nice for those of us with a Mac preference but using a HTPC for all the av stuff.

One downside is that when running Remote Desktop, the PC switches to some kind of generic video card so it's useless for cuonfiguring displays, running powerstrip etc. etc.

Do any of the other solutios allow access to PC using it's ususal display settings?

Peter

14. TEK

TEK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yep, Radmin (Remote Admin) gives you total control. I tried the Remote Access thing that came with XP when it first came out and wasn't very impressed at all. Any user still logged into the system seemed to be locked out as the remote client took over - this may of been remedied by having a play about but the speed of the things was so bad even locally that I just gave up.

I've tried the latest version with 2k3 Web Edition (possibly the same as Terminal Services) and it was was a hell of a lot quicker but although giving you full control of the system, it seemed to be a virtual instance of the desktop rather than the actual one. This may be fine for most people but I'm sticking with Radmin so I'm getting the exact same thing remotely as is happening on the server

15. BBD

BBD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    VNC alllows me to view my 16:9 HTPC on my 4:3 notebook display . Full screen mode scrolls the desktop across as the mouse reaches the edge of the screen.

Try it. Its FREE!

16. Caveat

Caveat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Gary
    My vote goes to VNC too, I hadnt heard of Radmin, but I'll certainly try it. VNC isnt perfect but it provides exactly what you asked for - your K/B, Mouse and Monitor controlling the remote box.
    I use it to control my HTPC for admin etc. Changing resolution or frequency on the remote box kills the connection but you can remake the connection at the new resolution - so Powerstrip manipulation is possible, but fidly.
    It wants about 30% of the HTPC CPU (1G Celeron) so I dont use it when watching DVDs, but recording from a Nova-T card is fine.
    Of course any overlay window (DScaler Nova-t etc) shows as a Black square on the monitor so even if the bandwidth were up to it you cant remotely watch TV or DVDs.
    The HTPC will soon go into the attic, with a USB2 DVD drive, an IR repeater and a stack of slow old drives to keep backups out of thieves way - hopefully.

Having said that, I also use a Belkin Omnicube to control 2 other PCs from one KB Mouse Monitor set up, the machineroom at work is littered with them too. If the 2 machines can be physically close enough this is an infinitely better solution, VNC is never fast enough (LAN vs AGP bandwidth) but its fine for admin, email, burning CDs etc.

17. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,016
    Thanks for that.

a friend at work uses vnc, so it looks like the winning utility so far. I only thought XP might be useful because of the built in admin feature, but that was all.

The 'remote' pc will be on the lan with my main pc and htpc, and I only want the remote pc for the extra drives/storage I have, but i don't have room for another monitor. This way I get to use all my excess pc stuff to make another machine and gain a lot more storage capacity.

Cheers all.

Gary.

18. meep

meep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +46
    Put VNC on my machines over the weekend.

The easiest software install I've ever done. Just install, set a password and go.

And it's cross-platform so I can control both my PCs (HTPC & Network/Internet/Automation PC) from the comfort of my Mac!

Thanks all

Peter

19. Desmo

Desmo
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,873
    I also use VNC as it's easy to access a machine from any other using a web browser.

20. Caveat

Caveat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I didnt know a remote vnc server could be displayed on a local Web Client, does vnc act as a plug-in or is there a specific application? - could you explain a little further.

21. Desmo

Desmo
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,873
    VNC has it's own Java(?) software built into the server. As long as ports 5800 and 5900 are open, fire away.

Log in using http://IP-ADDRESS:5800 and you should get a log in screen for the password.

22. Caveat

Caveat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  23. Desmo

Desmo
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,873
    Nope, that won't work. When you put in the IP address and port number the VNC server loads a password applet.

You can also access different machines by changing the port number. 58xx <--- where xx is screen number, normally 00, 01, 02 etc.