Control volume from source not amp

Adam M

Hi all,

Am wondering if any smart minds out there can help me.

I have just set up my lounge using the eARC output of my tv. Three sources are plugged into the tv. The eARC input is then fed to an HDFury vertex which extracts the audio from the hdmi signal and sends it over an bluestream balun to my loft where my AVR (Denon 8500) now resides.

I would like to get to the stage where I do not require the remote of the amp to be in my lounge. I would like to be able to control the volume of the amplifier by changing the volume of the tv or the sources.

The tv when outputting sound over eARC prevents volume control. The Apple TV remote seems to be displaying a volume change but it’s not actually affecting anything.

I’m wondering if there is an hdmi input setting that fixes the volume of the avr and relies solely on the input signal to change the volume of the output, or if perhaps the CEC signal can control the volume of the amp.

I previously had a sonos arc sound bar and note that its volume was not controlled independently, but I do not know if it was responding to the remote or the hdmi signal, I suspect the latter since Apple TV is bluetooth and my Samsung tv is IR.

I basically want to get the amplifier to behave like a sound bar not requiring any controls to be pressed once it has been initially set up.

is this possible?

dante01

Distinguished Member
Engage HDMI CEC onboard bothe the TV and the AV receiver and the TV's volume control should then control the AV receiver's volume if and when you configure the TV to output audio to the AV receiver.

I'd tend to suggest you retain the AV receiver's remote as opposed to using the TV's remote. You are not going to be able to control the AV receiver using a TV remote and you'd be limited to just the volume if using HDMI CEC.

Alternatively, look at using a universal remote such as one of LOgitech's Harmony remotes and use this to replace all your remotes. This would give you far more control over every device than you'd have using HDMI CEC and withoput the issues often associated with using HDMI CEC.

You'd ordinarilly want sources to be fixed as opposed to having variable volume levels being output from them.

The AV receiver is the device handling the audio, not the source or the TV.

Upvote 0

Adam M

I’m not entirely sure what you’ve suggested will work, primarily because the hdfury vertex 2 is in the way and I don’t know if the CEC information is passed through on the extracted audio out.

Upvote 0

dante01

Distinguished Member
If HDMI CEC isn't possible then no, you cannot control the AV receiver via other devices. It is the AV receiver that is handling the audio. The signal it is getting will be fixed line level and not variable relative to what you set the sources output to.

Upvote 0

Adam M

Just had it confirmed that CEC is not supported.

i really was trying to avoid a universal remote, unless there’s one with a base station/receiver. Everything just gets so messy and cluttered.
I wanted to declutter!

Upvote 0

dante01

Distinguished Member
You need only recharge them oncee a week and the base charger can be located in another room or even tucked away in a drawer until you need it.

You'll have far less trouble using an IR remote such as a Harmony remote than trying to control multiple devices via HDMI CEC. THe more devices you add, the more problematic HDMI CEC becomes. Besides which, not one of you controls will include every key needed to control other devices and HDMI CEC itself is limited to a select few common commands.

Upvote 0

gjd000

Seriously, for what you're looking for, just invest in a Harmony Hub equipped remote.

If you get the Harmony Ultimate you have effectively got a Base station/Receiver as you say, as well as a very good looking remote.....if that's your thing.

The Hub can be located near your equipment and will blast IR codes/Bluetooth control whilst the Handset communicates wirelessly to the hub for devices that are associated with the hub but can also be used to communicate via IR to devices that aren't.....such as the TV on the wall if needed.

Upvote 0

Adam M

I understand the logic and admit it makes sense.

i don’t understand the purpose of the hub. If the handset can transmit directly to the devices, why does the hub need to retransmit anything?

Upvote 0

alebonau

The tv when outputting sound over eARC prevents volume control. The Apple TV remote seems to be displaying a volume change but it’s not actually affecting anything.

hi Adam, not sure it helps you. but i was easily able to set the appleTV remote - in its menu set it up to control volume of my av processor... my TV or projector dont have speakers... so i can grab either my universal remote or apple TV remote any time and change volume ... just as can with the AV processors remote....

my universal remote is a harmony an old clunker.. but for apple TV we find using its little remote quite handy in navigating around for streaming...

Upvote 0

alebonau

i don’t understand the purpose of the hub. If the handset can transmit directly to the devices, why does the hub need to retransmit anything?
I think idea is the remote blasts to the hub and its the hub that sends signals to individual devices be it bluetooth or IR or other based ...

ps hdmi CEC is work of the devil... i would turn that off as a matter of routine for everything ! :D

Upvote 0

Adam M

Hub has blasters connected to equipment and has to be placed in front of said equipment - i find that messy or awkward. Also with my Denon being on the other end of an hdbt cable that already has an Ir blaster receiver/transmitter set up. I was hoping to avoid daisy chaining them.

the way the avr is set up I genuinely only need control of the volume hence why I think CEC would do, but that’s not an option now with the hdfury that I have. I could swap it for a maestro set up which could work but seems like huge expense overkill.

ill keep looking into the harmony.

Upvote 0

Adam M

How can Apple TV controlling amp if it is a Bluetooth remote? I assumed it was using CEC?

Upvote 0

alebonau

How can Apple TV controlling amp if it is a Bluetooth remote? I assumed it was using CEC?
nope no CEC... via IR see remotes and devices setup in apple TV settings, see the last selection "volume control" when i use the remote on the appleTV volume up and down it directly switches the marantz processor volume up/down and the marantz OSD comes on screen. denon has been the same with appleTV... I had a denon processor some years ago and was same...
IMG_1883.JPG

Upvote 0

Adam M

That’s actually perfect for me - all I need for now!

Upvote 0

The latest video from AVForums

65-inch LG C1 Review coming soon to AVForums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom