Contrast setting for HDR - help.

sajb

Standard Member
I'm really hoping for a definitive answer on this one. I'm trying to work out what my contrast setting for HDR should be on my Sony 900xe.

Essentially, when setting the HDR settings on my PS5, I want to ensure that I'm not clipping whites.

I can find plenty of info about how best to use the PS5 settings, but the contrast setting on my TV makes a huge difference. At 90% contrast I can notch up the test pattern until it's completely white, with plenty more notches left, but by lowering the contrast I can then see the pattern again, so can ramp up the PS5 peak brightness point a few notches further - but this a vicious circle that is reducing the overall brightness. I've settled for 90% for now, but don't want be missing out on an optimum image.

TV is set to Game mode, no silly features enabled.

I did view this peak brightness test: supposedly mastered at 1000nits - but again, I'm not sure quite what my contrast setting should be to determine what I'm clipping or how to use this. As I lower it, I can see more bars flash. If someone could walk me through the way to use this in conjunction with my points above that would be great, as I'd love be to set this and not be worrying about missing out if whites are blooming.

Thanks all.

The latest video from AVForums

AVForums Movies Podcast: We review Dune and ask which is the best decade for horror movies?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom