1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Contrast Ratios

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Pip_UK, Feb 9, 2002.

1. Pip_UK

Pip_UK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I went to see Lord of the Rings yesterday at the local cinema. I have never conciously looked at the quality of the image before and like most cinema-goers, am just 'in awe' at large projected images compared to a tv.

This time it was different ... having researched currently avaialable projectors and close to buying one, I spent more time judging the image than watching the film!

Thanks to all the reviews I have read and the added bonus of forum members' advice and personal experiences, I was acutely aware of contrast and resolution quality. I was quite suprised at what I found!

Using the black border of the screen as a reference point to compare, I never observed a true black throughout the whole film ... in fact it never even came close! I have read that contrast has more to do with differentiating slight detail and varying shades of grey within dark scenes ... if this is the case then the projector did a fine job.

As for resolution ... the outdoor 'bright' scenes were vivid and looked nearly 3-dimensional although darker scenes looked pale and 'washed-out'. Another thing I noticed in darker scenes is only objects in the foreground were focussed, background objects looked fuzzy. I don't know if this occurs with Tv's or smaller screens or whether the smaller size makes it less obvious.

One final point ... I have read that it is recommended that a black border surrounds the screen to improve perceived contrast levels. if this is the case then there is also the paradoxical effect of seeing that a 'perceived' black is not actually black (ie the screen border).

I am intrigued as to the type of projector type in my local cinema ie CRT or 3 panel DLP

Pip

2. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,785
    I would suspect it is neither but instead a lamp firing through moving acetate film.....

Gordon

Interesting post.

3. Rob

Rob

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Quite likely ;)

It is interesting that the local mutiplex is considered to be the standard that we all should aspire to, when in fact in many cases it isn't. Some film prints look terrible, the most recent for me was Tommorrow never dies, which at my local UCI looked Soft to the point of making you squint. Once you get into this hobby and start to look for bad points its very easy to find them. I'm sure the average punter would think it looked great.

Rob.

4. Chris Frost

Chris Frost

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +107
    This used to be the case, but no longer I think. Good cinema is still a joy to behold, but the average cinema experience is being rapidly overtaken by good quality home cinema equipment.

I suppose the phrase is still used because it provides a common frame of reference. Most of us remember the excitement of watching a really good film at the cinema, and it is useful to tap into that emotion when describing the benefits of home cinema.