1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Contrast Ratio

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by danrich1, Jun 30, 2003.

1. danrich1

danrich1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    Hi,

I'm pretty close to taking the plunge to a 42" Plasma - looking at the usual suspects..

Just curious HOW much difference contrast ratio ACTUALLY makes.
    I saw the Hitachi screen today (briefly) and note is has 1000:1 ratio and was well impressed. Next up are the 3000:1 screens and will hang on to see the Pana 6's which I believe have 4000:1.

Question is, is this just marketing numbers or does it make THAT much difference??

Shop I was in has the Hitachi 42PD3000 with the speakers (which i'd like) and the connection box for £3195, which sounds OK to me.

Cheers - Dan

2. AVcontroller

AVcontroller

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Dan
    contrast ratio is changed with the ambient light in the room. Thats why TV`s look not only faint but pale in day light.
    So contrast ratio is important but not the end of the story. If you watch your plasma in low lighting conditions you will have a very good contrast ratio.
    The Hitachi is a great plasma, my mate got one. Dont by the box with it, its espensive and the tuner inside is rubbish.

3. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,525
    Danrich1

The quoted contrast ratios provided by the display manufacturers are in themselves a bit like watts per channel in that there is no one standard mechanism for measuring contrast so the manufacturers can tweak the numbers to suit the advertising blurb.

Contrast along with grey scale, colour reproduction, purity uniformity etc are all important factors. Its also important to look at how good the video processing on board the plasma display is and how does the display react when you want to upgrade (bypassing the in built processing) using an external processor to improve your video sources.

The Panasonic displays have historically stolen a march on the competition by way of there 'real black' drive system which enables them to look inky black - though as can be shown from the fact that not everyone has a Panasonic display there is more to it than just going very black.

Best regards

Joe