Contrast Ratio

gemeit

Which has the better picture the tosh 37wlt58 contrast ratio 800:1 or the tosh 42wlt58 contrast ratio 550:1 or is there no Difference

Lin3ar

Distinguished Member
gemeit said:
Which has the better picture the tosh 37wlt58 contrast ratio 800:1 or the tosh 42wlt58 contrast ratio 550:1 or is there no Difference

Theory says that the higher the Contrast ratio the better BUT there is so much more involved that picture quality depends on.
The 42 might have a better picture say, but if you are sitting too close to the screen the 37 picture would look better.

Tempest

Distinguished Member
I'd LOVE to hear from someone who has been (side by side) the 37 and 42" versions.

I'm kinda tempted by the 42, but put off by the lower specs.

Lin3ar

Distinguished Member
stefmcd said:
Get an LG - they've got 1200:1 contrast ratios.
:)

Means nothing.These are just inacurate figures given out by manufacturers.Have a look a the real values in magazine reviews.They bear no resemblance to those give by the manufacturers.
And as said before, there is a lot more to a good picture than contrast ratios.

Beware contrast ratio! Make sure you audition the screen when it plays a dark atmospheric movie in a dark room. The Blacks on a LCD are NOT black.

Having said that the whites and the colours are brilliant.

Also size is not everything. Look at the room you have and don't gross out on a big monster. It's only TV.

Jerry (Panny TX23 lxd50)

stefmcd

Novice Member
Lin3ar said:
Means nothing.These are just inacurate figures given out by manufacturers.Have a look a the real values in magazine reviews.They bear no resemblance to those give by the manufacturers.
And as said before, there is a lot more to a good picture than contrast ratios.

I disagree. It means something - the fact that some manufacturers are less srucpulous than others means it can't be taken as gospel but to ignore the stats completely would be foolish.

j.fryman - blacks ona crt are far from black also. I'm convinced the blacks on my LG LCD are blacker than my Sony CRT.

:)

Beware contrast ratio! Make sure you audition the screen when it plays a dark atmospheric movie in a dark room. The Blacks on a LCD are NOT black.
Yeah, the contrast ratio is actually more about how many different shades of black the TV can resolve in dark areas - not how convincing the blacks look. For that you need a nice adjustable backlight that can go down low.

Ashman UK

Novice Member
Well from what ive learnt so far in the last few months with having an lcd tv and indeed my viewsonic tft 19" monitor for our pc here is that the higher the contrast ratio you have is that you will find that basically the darker areas are darker and the lighter areas are lighter the higher the contrast ratio is.

Saying that though some manufacturers "stated" contrast ratio's can vary because for example on this samsung lcd tv i have..(LE32R51BD.) they advertise it having a contrast ratio of 3000:1 but that is the "dynamic" contrast ratio which can be switched on/off through the osd and the "actuall" contrast ratio for this lcd is 800:1..still light and dark enough for me and of course it does depend on the quality of your lcd screen aswell.

Is there any way of adjusting the backlight on the panny?
That is my only crit so far with it. I note they are bringing out a new model with 'better blacks' hey ho..... just paid the bill!]

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Trinnov Room Optimiser: A full explanation of Trinnov and its room optimiser technology
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom