1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

contrast ratio

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by manu1, Nov 17, 2004.

1. manu1

manu1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Is 900:1 a high contrast ratio these days or what? Does it warrant a grey screen?

2. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Nope :zonked: .

Many current LCD PJ's offer 2000:1 with the soon to arrive Sony HS50/51 claiming 6000:1 :eek: .

DLPs currently boast anything from 2000:1 to 4500/5000:1.

:smoke:

3. manu1

manu1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well, I've just bought a Runco CL700 at 900:1. Do you think I should get a grey screen? :confused:

4. smerkderk

smerkderk
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi Manu1,

I have a TW10 approx 700:1 which i first had projecting on a white wall, picture was ok, changed the white for a 5-6 mix of Icestorm (grey) and the results were very good. Basically see if you can try out the screens first, or is there a spare wall you could paint both white and grey??? just to get an idea?

Cheers

5. deckard

deckard
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The advice I've received (from ISF qualified people) is that you'll be better off with a lower gain screen for more accurate black reproduction and better contrast provided you can adequately black out your room (I've got a Barco Cineversum 80 on order and have ordered a Draper Onyx 0.8 gain screen from NexNix - for a very good price incidentally...)

6. avanzato

avanzato

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +60
    I tried several screen samples, from .6 to .8 grey and from matte white to high gain. The matte white won. The image on the high gain was very good but ultimately expensive and no good for a ceiling mounted PJ. The grey screens were IMHO dull and murky, maybe with a brighter PJ they would have looked better but not with my Sanyo Z1.

Like smerkderk says try some samples before possibly making a mistake.

7. manu1

manu1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thankyou all. In the end I think I will opt for a white matt,1.0 -1.3 gain screen, tensioned.