1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Contrast Ratio???

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by dalepearson, Oct 31, 2004.

1. dalepearson

dalepearson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    hiya Guys.

Think i have made up my mind that I am going to get a plasma, but I am confused about the contrast ratio.

I wanted to get a higher resolution as i will use my HTPC on the plasma, but seems the contrast ratio is lower with the higher resolution.

So whats more important 3000:1 contrast ratio and low resolution, of 1000:1 contrast ratio and a higher resolution.

Thanks

Dale

Also whats the DVD you can get to help setup your plasma colours.

2. kirakira

kirakira

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    How about getting a panny 3000:1 and high resolution?

Contrast is basically measured by the brightness of the brightest bright over the blackest of black. There is no absolute black (void of light) achieveable by any device, there will always be some light even at black unless your TV can generate a black hole.

The problem with contrast ratio is that it doesn't tell you whether the panel can actually produce deep blacks or the panel can simply produce ridiculous whites but average blacks. It only tells you the difference between the darkest colour and the brightest colour the TV can produce. So don't get too hung up on the figures.

3. dalepearson

dalepearson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    How much would a Panny with 3000:1 Contrast Ratio, and a high resolution be?