1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

contrast ratio or pixel pitch?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by unique460, Dec 2, 2004.

1. unique460

unique460

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can anybody tell me if a plasma screen with more pixels on it will give a better picture than a screen with less pixels but with a higher contrast ratio? (both screens are the same size). The reason I ask is I am on the verge of buying an Hitachi pd5300 but many people on this forum rave about the Panasonic pw7. Looking at the specs of them both the Hitachi has a lot more pixels but the panasonic has a lot higher contrast ratio, what is best? Help!
    Sorry if this is a daft question but I am really getting bogged down with screen choice and I really dont want to buy the wrong set up.
    Are both these screens High definition compatable?

2. johndon

johndon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +89
    More pixels doesn't necessarily equate to better picture quality as a lot is down to the quality of the scaler in the panel (assuming you don't use an external scaler).

The Hitachi 5300 (which I own) is not hi-def compatible but the 5200 (same screen as the 5300 but without the tuner box). The 5300 can accept a 1080i signal from a PC via the VGA port but can't (as far as I know) accept one via component.

If you can get a demo of both screens with one or more DVDs that you are familiar with to get a better idea of which looks best to your eyes.

HTH

John

3. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    You rerally need a demo to settle this one, it's very personal. You can of course get the best of both worlds with the Panasonic TH42PHD7B but at a price premium. It's where the smart money is going these days, as prices overall have fallen to the point where the HD screen is way less than the PW6 was a year ago.

4. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,572
    Unique460

Ensure your comparing Apples with Apples - the majority of Display's (Pioneer, Panasonic, NEC) are Progressive Displays so when you see the pixel count specified they light up the total amount of pixels in every instance in time.

The Majority of Fujitsu and Hitachi Displays (any any other that are advertised as ALiS) are Interlaced so only half the vertical resolution is lit at any one time - so a 1024x1024 ALiS is equivalent to a 1024x512 Progressive Display.

Picture quality is not determine by any one 'specification' - the manufacturers play the 'watts per channel' game in the Plasma market just as readily as they do in every other market.

In absolute terms your eyes will forgive a bit of sharpness over a lack of contrast - though the contrast figures given in spec sheets are a useless way to compare Displays as none of the manufacturers specify how they measure contrast and don't say if the measurement is taken in a dark room or a lit room; a display with a 4000:1 contrast figure in a completely dark room may only have a 140:1 contrast in a brightly lit room.

If your only inputting Standard Definition PAL and or NTSC Video you can get away with the lower resolution Progressive Displays (852x480P) - though as soon as you want to Input Higher Definition Video and PC content you really want to consider the Higher Resolution Progressive Displays (1024x768P).

Best regards

Joe