1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Contrast Ratio, Hugely Important?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by David Mackenzie, Sep 6, 2004.

1. David Mackenzie

David Mackenzie
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,310
    I've been comparing the Sony KLV26HG2 - which has a contrast ratio of 500:1 - and was all set on buying it. Then I saw the Sharp Aquos LC-26GA3E which has a much better one, 800:1.

Is this REALLY important? The Sony has really, really sexy menus and some cool features, but obviously I'm not going to go just for gimmicks. Does contrast ratio affect black level at all?

2. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,032
    It is a factor. However, unlike things like car mpg and loan interest rates (apr) there isn't any recognised industry or British standard for measuring it. So it may well be the case that these two are about equal, or the "lower" one actually better than the "higher".

The best answer is for you to take a look and decide which you prefer, for all reasons, including the appearance. The effect of LCD greyness on a direct-view LCD screen is best seen in very low ambient light levels. Most look very good in high ambient light such as you might find in retail stores.

3. Rob20

Rob20

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +354
    I believe Sony is just about to release a new generation of lcds which you may want to hold out for. Especially as the connections on the 26" Sony are a bit limited. The new Sonys may well come with HDMI inputs, a digital tuner etc....

4. ianh64

ianh64

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    I thought that Sony normally announced their new product lineups at the beginning of each year with availability starting around March or April.