1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Contrast Over Lumens?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by jamiebgp, Mar 25, 2001.

1. jamiebgp

jamiebgp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm just about to take the plunge and go for my first LCD projector. But i'm still finding it a hard choice between 2 models. THe Sanyo PLV30 and NEC VT440. Both have pretty good specs but the Sanyo has 400:1 contrast and 500 lumens apposed to the NEC's 300:1 and 1100 lumens. I've viewed both on a very crude screen, and both looked pretty good in terms of black level. My question is will that 100:1 extra contrast benefit me over the extra brightness level. My dedicted room is completely free of outside light, but the idea of watching movies and playing playstation in the dark all the time is not that appealing. I know everybody is raving about the Sanyo, but nobody magazine wise including HCC have reviewed it. With all the buzz on this forum you would have thought it would at least deserve a mention.

Any Help MUcho Appreciato

"You sure gotta a purtty smile there Boy"

2. uncle eric

uncle eric

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Jamie,
    Contrast ratio is more important. If you have control over your ambient lighting 500 lumens is ok.
    Many movies made today contain lots of dark scenes. These get 'crushed' if the all important black level (or brightness control) cant go low enough.
    I tried viewing 'Fight Club' on my cousins Sony LCD and gave up in disgust. Awfull. I think this had a 300-1 contrast level.
    If you must go for this technology, have a look at the new Seleco dlp or the latest Sanyo lcd with contrast ratios of 600-1 and 700-1 respectively.
    If you have space, just go CRT and forget the rest. You will in the end. Trust me.
    Eric

3. Lars Hanssen

Lars Hanssen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Jamie,
    You must one of the few individuals, who has actually seen both the Sanyo and the NEC. I am trying to make the exact same decision, but have no way of seeing NEC or Sanyo in my country, so eventually my decision will be sight unseen. How did their colours compare, especially red objects? I have seen a picture from the Sanyo at a german dealers website, and found it a little greenish, but this may not be representative of actual performance.
    Did you perceive any performance in black level? With a contrast ratio of 1:400, the sanyo should be comparable to f.ex a Davis DLP, is this true?
    Have you considered, that you can't use PAL progressive on the NEC? I worry a little about that, with DVDO iscan PRO and progressive PAL players being a reality now.
    Anyway, i have placed an order on the Panamorph pre-buy, and my choice, whatever it may be, will be using that.

Cheers,
    Lars

[This message has been edited by Lars Hanssen (edited 25-03-2001).]

4. Chris Frost

Chris Frost

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +108
    Jamiebgp,
    Firstly, a PLV30 has been made available to the magazines for review. However, getting the results onto the printed page takes several weeks.

Second, a PLV30 will work quite happily in moderate lighting conditions. How do I define moderate? How about “enough light to read a magazine by” as a definition?

One of the main factors to good projected images is light management. Using the correct type of lights and in the right places can have as great an impact on image quality than doubling your projector budget.

A couple of quick tips:
    1- Invest in a good multi-channel dimmer system. A good home cinema should have lighting that can be controlled to produce a range of scenes from near blackout to full illumination.
    2 - Use wall-mounted uplighters to the left and right of the screen. They can be on quite bright without affecting the screen too much.
    3 - Avoid using table or freestanding lamps that scatter their light everywhere. They are poor as task lights but do tend to wash out the projection screen.
    4 - Ask about quartz halogen spotlights with a pencil beam. They are excellent at illuminating a small area (i.e. coffee table with playstaion) with a tightly confined light beam.

I am often asked about projector set-up and room lighting. If there was enough demand they could be covered in a workshop type seminar at Gordon’s projector event. What do you think?

Lars,
    You asked about PAL progressive scan (PS) and the PLV30. As you know, there aren’t any mainstream DVD players that give a PAL PS signal at the moment. However, devices like the iScan Pro will convert PAL interlaced to PAL PS.

The benefits are reduced jaggies (which means smoother diagonals with less stair stepping), the removal of line twitter, greater image depth and superior detail.

Regards

------------------
    Chris Frost
    Regional Sales Manager-N.England & Scotland
    Owl Video Systems Ltd
    www.owl-video.co.uk

5. jamiebgp

jamiebgp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Guyz
    Thanks for your input, I really am desperate to get my set-up finished and by all accounts the Sanyo should suit me just fine. I believe that if i keep looking around there will always be something new in the not to distant future, so i think it's time to take the plunge. The Sanyo PLV30 will "hopefully" be ordered today. How can so many people in this forum be wrong. Lets hope the magazines agree ( a nice fat back-up of whats been said on these forums would be nice).And if i do have problems at least i can try and solve them with like minded purchasers from this site.

Eric
    I have already got a CRT projector an Electrohome but my cinema room is only 15ft X 10ft with 7ft high ceilings and this projector is a monster, So unfortunately i will have to lose it. An LCD model is the only option. Budget is also a problem so the two mentioned were by far the best in my price band, but thanks

Lars
    I haven't seen the Davis so i can't comment, but i do believe you can get into a rut when deciding on the right projector.In my limited knowledge both projecters looked good color wise, but they weren't projected onto the best viewing material in the world.
    I'll keep you posted on my thoughts after purchase.

Chris
    Thanks for clearing up matters, its definatley time to take the plunge.

A new forum on Best price On the Sanyo could be in order.

Many Thanx

J