Contrast Mode?(55OLED865)

bogani

Novice Member
Can any kind soul provide some knowledge about this processing? What is the actual difference between 'Normal' and 'Optimized for picture'. Is it mainly a way to boost the nits?

I've seen different calibrations and most points to set to 'Normal' but the official AVforum calibration for a previous Philips OLED seems to set it to 'Optimize for picture' across the board.

I would also assume dynamic contrast is a setting that isn't all that beneficial considering the OLED inky blacks to start with?

Cheers!

markfawcett

I can’t directly answer for your OLED, but on my LCD I prefer ‘Normal’ because ‘Optimised for Picture’ is too aggressive and alters the grey scale on the fly as well as the backlight.

Clearandcolour

Can any kind soul provide some knowledge about this processing? What is the actual difference between 'Normal' and 'Optimized for picture'. Is it mainly a way to boost the nits?

I've seen different calibrations and most points to set to 'Normal' but the official AVforum calibration for a previous Philips OLED seems to set it to 'Optimize for picture' across the board.

I would also assume dynamic contrast is a setting that isn't all that beneficial considering the OLED inky blacks to start with?

Cheers!
Which mode are you in.. I have a 855 and I experience the same problem with all these setings.. Because it's all influences each other.. Even light-sensor on or off.. changes brightness sometimes a lot.. And then you have a setting for light-sensor outside the picture mode.. And one inside the picture-mode-style.. And then contrast settings changes the brightness..
Sometinmes the energy saving is even more bright than normal setting..
I have my tv on natural mode.. And made some changes in this setting for my liking..

bogani

Novice Member
Which mode are you in.. I have a 855 and I experience the same problem with all these setings.. Because it's all influences each other.. Even light-sensor on or off.. changes brightness sometimes a lot.. And then you have a setting for light-sensor outside the picture mode.. And one inside the picture-mode-style.. And then contrast settings changes the brightness..
Sometinmes the energy saving is even more bright than normal setting..
I have my tv on natural mode.. And made some changes in this setting for my liking..
I would assume the light sensor only affects the OLED contrast/luminance as that would have no effect on the actual picture like if it messed with the brightness setting. That's just an asumption though.

Clearandcolour

I would assume the light sensor only affects the OLED contrast/luminance as that would have no effect on the actual picture like if it messed with the brightness setting. That's just an asumption though.
Okay, yes.. As it's been some months ago that I got my new tv and went on going trough the settings.. I can rememer that it didn't do much most of the tiem but in some it did.. As with the strange effects of selecting energy saving or normal or the setting for optimised picture..
Maybe I don't have things right in my mind.. as it had been 3 months since I have the tv.. And decide after some days/weeks to not go into the settings anymore..
Although sometimes I do.. Because I came from old crt trinotron tv.. So after getting used to more light and brightness.. my mind changed..

bogani

Novice Member
I can’t directly answer for your OLED, but on my LCD I prefer ‘Normal’ because ‘Optimised for Picture’ is too aggressive and alters the grey scale on the fly as well as the backlight.
Yeah so this is what is puzzling me a bit. I reckon the Contrast Mode would fit the LCD/LED's alot more since they cant't produce true blacks like an OLED, thus adapting the picture to whatever scene it's showing.

Let's say I watch a very bright scene with my OLED and I have both OLED Contrast(equivalent to LED backlight) set to 100 and video contrast set to 100. Yet, the switching from Normal to Optimised for Picture gives me a significant boost in light output. I assume the Normal contrast mode is just a way of keeping the nits in check, not giving me all the luminance available?

The latest video from AVForums

AVForums Movies Podcast: Which is the best decade for horror movies?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom