Continue with Sky HD box or ask for Sky Q?

Fenix975

Novice Member
I've been with Sky for 17 years but out of frustration from trying to get a better deal, cancelled yesterday. I will probably go back to them before the cancellation period is up if I don't get offered a deal before then, mainly because of Sky F1 but would like to know if I have the option whether it is best to stay on my Sky HD box (which still has a box connected to it so it can connect to WiFi) or ask to have a Sky Q box (supposedly I could have one because I'm Diamond VIP but have never been offered one previously).

For information, I only have 1 TV in the house which is HD so I don't need multiroom and don't plan to buy a 4K TV at the moment. I have an Amazon FireStick to be able to access apps such as YouTube, etc. as my TV doesn't have them.

Are there any benefits therefore to go to Sky Q beyond being able to record more than 2 programmes at the same time, or should I stick with Sky HD?

tom 2000

Distinguished Member
It’s hardly a life changing difference but Q is the future. Having said that I would be comparing the cost before deciding.

Fenix975

Novice Member
Thanks a lot. I'm sure I'll be able to go up to Q in the future if I don't upgrade now - perhaps also once they've sorted out the audio issues that I've been reading about.

tom 2000

Distinguished Member
I was a pretty early adopter. I love it. We are a perfect family for Q. Two people with four TVs about the house. Connectivity was challenging in the early days but I love that sort of challenge.

maf1970

Sky HD is supposed to be getting phased out. If you have an issue with HD you have to wait ages to be seen by an engineer as emphasis is on Q. I would go back to them and ask what deal would they do to make you stay. Mention how long you have been with them and use covid-19 as another reason for reducing cost.
My brother got a really good deal that included F1 for free.

bingodisco

Thanks a lot. I'm sure I'll be able to go up to Q in the future if I don't upgrade now - perhaps also once they've sorted out the audio issues that I've been reading about.
I wouldn't recommend anyone get Q at the moment. The current box is a mess. The audio drop-out issue has been going on for over a year with no fix yet. They keep throwing apps onto it to try and make the one-stop shop thing appealing, but they are very unreliable and offer poorer picture quality than native TV or Firestick apps.
Stick with +HD for as long as you can if you can get a deal out of them, otherwise just use the Now TV app on the Firestick. Buy sports passes with them for the months when F1 is on - with the Boost pass too you can get it in full 1080P HD.

zAndy1

Distinguished Member

Yeah see I'm not sure I'd agree with that. For sure the Q box ain't perfect but it's not bad either , it's a bloody good PVR with an excellent interface. I've experienced the dropout issue but it's very rare on my box and that's supposed to be a new update to hopefully resolve it. Now TV sports passes aren't cheap and with Sky keen to move people to Sky Q it's possible to get some very good deals especially if you're a long time customer and willing to cancel (put notice in) to get the best deal. A few people recently have got the full TV package for around £55pm or £43pm ish without movies but with complete sports / uhd / netflix premium , if you can get a deal like that it's a no brainer really.
I'd see what deal you can get and go from there really

bingodisco

I'd beg to differ I'm afraid. For me the ability to record 6 things at once is completely un-necessary, as is multi-screen and voice control. I'd love it if it were a 'bloody good PVR' but it just isn't. The interface is clunky & unintuitive, the fan noise is irritating and the audio drop-outs are unforgiveable.
I've switched to recording most things on a Manhattan T3-R Freeview HD PVR which really is 'bloody good.' It's silent, quicker than Q and works every time without any audio problems. Oh, and doesn't cost me anything every month.
If the Q box worked as it should then it would be a superb bit of kit, particularly if you were able to get the full package for around £50pm. But right now there are just too many things wrong with it for me.

If you have no plans to upgrade to 4K at the moment, personally I would be tempted to keep the HD box. Only switch to Sky Q if they offer you a good deal. The only advantage you would get from Q is the multiple tuners, which to be honest I do find very handy. The rest of it is a bit pants tbh, the only reason I keep Sky is for the F1.

Sky are actively looking to switch everyone to a Q package hence their "offer" , but once you have gone down that route they will not allow you to go back to an HD box.

rs101

I'd beg to differ I'm afraid. For me the ability to record 6 things at once is completely un-necessary, as is multi-screen and voice control. I'd love it if it were a 'bloody good PVR' but it just isn't. The interface is clunky & unintuitive, the fan noise is irritating and the audio drop-outs are unforgiveable.
I've switched to recording most things on a Manhattan T3-R Freeview HD PVR which really is 'bloody good.' It's silent, quicker than Q and works every time without any audio problems. Oh, and doesn't cost me anything every month.
If the Q box worked as it should then it would be a superb bit of kit, particularly if you were able to get the full package for around £50pm. But right now there are just too many things wrong with it for me.
Fan noise? My v1 was about as noisy as my old Sky+HD box, but my v2 is pretty much silent. I put felt pads under the feet (it's on a wooden cabinet) and now it's inaudible.

The v2 audio dropout issue seems to be fixed in Q150, judging by my experience and the positive reports on various forums. Q160 should include a driver update which sorts out the v3 too.

bingodisco

My first V2 I had a constantly ticking hard drive. That was swapped for another V2 which had a quiet hard drive but a noisy fan, even in standby. That was swapped for a V3 which has a quiet hard drive but still has fan noise, even when the box is in standby doing absolutely nothing. The old 2TB Sky+HD box I had went totally silent in standby. There's no reason why Q shouldn't be able to do the same. The Manhattan PVR is fanless and almost imperceptible in terms of sound, even when recording two things at once.
I'll give Sky a chance to fix the audio issue with Q160 but if they don't then I'm out. The rest of the family (who mainly use Q) will just have to deal with it as I'm not going to continue paying for their shoddy product.

Fenix975

Novice Member
Thanks for all the advice. I went on reviewmyoptions and I had an offer that I accepted. So I've got Signature + HD + full Sky Sports for £35 a month for 18 months. That's £18 less than what I was paying for Variety + HD + Sky F1 legacy so I'm very happy with this. I did it all online so the question about a Q box didn't come up. I'll stick with my Sky+ HD box for now until it either stops working or Q boxes are improved (or I get a better TV).

bingodisco

Excellent. Sounds like a good deal to me. +HD will be around for a long while yet, and there are plenty of inexpensive boxes on eBay in case yours dies.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: LG C1 OLED + JBL Synthesis SDR-35 First Thoughts, plus TV Show & Disc Reviews & more
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom