Continuation of long threads....

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by bazonix, Feb 2, 2009.

1. bazonix

bazonix

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +260
    hello....

Im relatively new to the forums, so please forgive me if this question has been posted before.... but I would like to know if its possible for a mod to notify the OP (if he/she is actively involved) of a long thread to start a new one?

There seems to be conflicting information on the threads as I have viewed threads with well over 1000 replys, to threads being abrubtly locked and re-initiated by a moderator.... so is there a limit? or not?

I wouldnt mind if the moderator has a partial/good understanding of the product/service and was able to actively answer questions on the thread....

but I would also find it extremely courteous towards the actual OP if continuation of a particular thread could be credited to them as it takes a lot of effort to amass a large thread and keep interest in a particular product/service going....

this is not a complaint in the slight as i thoroughly enjoy the use of this forum, it really is as concise as a forum should be, truly covering A to Z in the AV/gadget/IT/phone/..... sector......

thank you for your time

Balraj.

2. RottenFox

RottenFox
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,289
    i've added a "thanks to bazonix for the original thread.." to your HK thread..:smashin:

and the limit is 1000 posts, but some threads that are older with more posts, might not be closed and re-opened, in a part 2 thread, due to them being older,or just being brought to their attention.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2009
  3. Steven

Steven
    Senior Moderator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,605
    Threads are closed at 1000 posts because they are a drain on the forum database as when you open a thread every post is cached. That is all. Nothing else at all :)

4. MrO

MrO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +280
    unless its the official car showroom thread which has 1809 posts and is still going strong :rotfl: