1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Continous BEEP on startup ..

Discussion in 'PC Gaming & Rigs' started by monkeyleader, Nov 29, 2004.

1. monkeyleader

monkeyleader

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +90
    Hi,

I just got myself a new Graphics card on loan and installed it in my Dell Dimension 8300 - on boot the system seems to power up but I get a continous beep and nothing on the screeen. When I put my old GFX card in it works - also no beeps when there is no graphics card in. The new card is a NVIDIA 6800 GT

Thoughts ?

2. monkeyleader

monkeyleader

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +90
    Might have solved it - think its PSU related - Ive noticed the PSU supplied in the dell is only a 250W ... Im sure this GFX card is drawing far moree than that ! Dam ...

3. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    Sounds very likely....If I remember the minimum PSU spec for that card is 350-400W on an average load(in terms of HDD's etc) PC...also meant I couldnt put one in my HP,which is OK with a 5900XT overclocked.

4. Sinzer

Sinzer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,108
    Yeah unless it is a seriously good PSU (hehehehe, do DELL put any seriously good components in their PCs :p ) then it will not power that card.

You can get away with 250-300W in things like a Shuttle PC, but not in a standard desktop.

5. monkeyleader

monkeyleader

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +90
    Yup its a power issue - Im just trying to complain to dell now as this system is only 6 months old and at the time was there top of the range - sticking a 250W PSU in a top of the range system is not on - especially as their new gaming XPS system only seems to differ from my 8300 in one main area - the PSU, its a 400W PSU - so obviously Dell know of the problem and have addressed it with a new system - at about £300 quid more - grrr ...

6. Sinzer

Sinzer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,108
    One reason to never buy from Dell, their systems are just not robust enough. Best thing to do is buy yourself a proper Antec PSU.

7. monkeyleader

monkeyleader

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +90
    Yer I will get myself a proper one but Im first going to see what dell says :) Apart from the PSU issue the system has been pretty solid and for the money Ive been very impressed - also getting 3 years NBD support thrown in is top !

8. Squiffy

Squiffy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,876
    I've got a Dimension 8300 too.

It works fine with the X800 Pro VIVO I bought.

Shame I haven't got a floppy drive to use for flashing the graphic card Bios up to an XT though. :blush:

9. monkeyleader

monkeyleader

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +90
    So I just had a decent conversation with Dell - they called me to find out what was the problem. Earlier on today I took out everything that was connected to the PSU (disks, CD, DVD Writers etc ) and the system still had a contonuos beep - made me wonder wos it the PSU after all - the bloke in dell said that the GFX card draws power from the m/board so perhaps it was the m/board at fault. He was going to check what GFX cards the 8300 m/boards support and get back to me .. Id be interested to hear from anyone who has an 8300 with one of the current generation GFX cards ...

ta,

Nige

10. Sinzer

Sinzer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,108
    Hehe, that beep is the BIOS telling you that it won't start up, you need to look at the POST (Power On Self Test) description for your motherboard. Usually you get beeps for graphics cards/keyboard/memory/CPU, they can be continous or different patterns.

Basically, as is common in tech support, DELL have displayed they really cannot advise you properly. The 8300 comes with a 875P chipset for Intel processors and the motherboard supports all modern AGP cards.

A 250W ATX PSU in a standard desktop is not enough power, you are getting the beeps because your graphics card cannot power up. TBH.... I would take the advice of forum members because I can guarantee you, they will know far more than the tech support lines.

The power supplied from the mobo comes from the PSU. Anyway, you should notice on the 6800GT there is a Molex connector that you need to connect direct to the PSU, showing that the Graphics Card also requires direct PSU input. Have you plugged this in?

I really would not recommend running though with that PSU as you will find that it will start to damage components like memory and CPU if the power is fluctuating.

You are lucky that the 8300 is one of the few Dells that uses ATX, otherwise you would have been stuck with a crappy PSU.

11. timothyw

timothyw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    Possibly a silly question this, but you have connected up the auxiliary power leads for the geforce 6800gt? Its not just a case of slotting it in, it will also need you to plug in a seperate power lead, otherwise you won't get anything at all- or possibly just a beep. When I don't have my 9500 pro power plugged in I get a 'check power connection' error on screen and the machine won't boot, this could be a similar thing.

12. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,886
    When I forgot to connect the power to my 5900 Ultra I got an error message when windows booted up. This definately looks like the PSU is not enough for this card.

13. Ethics Gradient

Ethics Gradient
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +432
    Don't forget that if you do end up requiring a new PSU - that you'll have to buy one from Dell - or be prepared to completely rewire a normal ATX power supply from a shop.
    Dell PSU's are propriatry - with differing pinouts etc ...... which is damn annoying.

14. Sinzer

Sinzer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,108
  15. Ethics Gradient

Ethics Gradient
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +432
  16. monkeyleader

monkeyleader

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +90
    Okay so me bad - I didnt notice the power on the side of teh card - well its the first time Ive ever had the need to - once again AVForums 1, some corporate vendor 0

cheers guys :)