Contemplating a PS4......Some advice needed.

Nemesis X2

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi all.

I currently have an XBO and until recently had no interest in picking up a PS4 due to limited gaming time. I don't have time for the games I've got let alone another system.... Anyway, historically I've always had multiple consoles in each generation and always planned on picking up a PS4 at some point for the exclusives, and the price now is at the point I'm tempted to bite, as well as a decent quota of exclusives I want to play, plus the likes of Wipeout on the horizon.

I'm only contemplating the base console, not Pro. I've not got a 4k TV and going forward my main platform will still be Xbox with Scorpio once that hits, so PS4 will pretty much only be for exclusives and therefore the cost of the Pro isn't worth it for me.

After some advice though...

1. Re the Slim, I've read it has no optical out... I currently have my main devices linked to an optical splitter, into my Headphones base unit, which then pass through to my amp. So can use headphones or surround system fine. I know you can get an adapter linked to a USB port, but I won't want that sticking out the front of the machine. Does anyone here use HDMI for sound to TV and then link the TV optical out port to their amp for surround...if so, does this work fine, or is there any noticeable lag in the sound? If this is an ok solution I have no concerns, if not, it's a really frustrating omission for the console.

2. Vertical orientation.... can the slim be positioned vertically without the additional stand at further expense, or is it too thin to risk it without the stand?

3. PSN account... My PS3 has been little more than a Blu Ray player since the first couple of years I had it, so never had a PSN subscription as not around back then IIRC. I have a PS gamertag, so how does the PSN account work, just get a code and redeem against my tag same as XBL...? I assume so, but if I go to the store webpage now and try to sign in with original email and password I had for my gamertag ID, it doesn't recognise me... would this be a separate log in altogether just for the store then, or can I only log into that with an active sub?

4. Noise.... Have obviously heard lots about how loud the PS4 was / is. Is the slim as loud as the original? We have stairs off the living room so a Jumbo sounding console in the early hours isn't ideal, so could be an issue. Also are games quieter if digital copies, or are discs just installed to the HDD anyway, meaning no difference? Have heard comments about the fan and disc drive both being overly loud so wondered if there's a way to minimise it.

5. Exclusives... As mentioned this is my main interest as I'll still get multiplats on XB. I will be planning on picking up at some point, Uncharted 4, TLOU, HZD, possibly Drive Club and Bloodborne. Any others I'm missing that are worthwhile? I loved Fahrenheit and Heavy Rain from Quantic Dream, so is Beyond Two Souls any good or not of the same quality?

6. Did I also read that PS4 now supports external HDD's like the XBO?

Thanks in advance. :thumbsup:

1. Cloyster doesn't have a clue.
2. I don't think the Slim model is designed to be stood that way.
3. Account works just like it does on Xbox, if you can't log into the store then something's going wrong, Sony might have closed the account if it's been inactive without any purchases for years. I'd make a new account up.
4. Slim PS4 is the quietest console of the four PS4 models with decimal levels on par with the OG Xbox One, it still gets loud when it's accessing the disc though, for a few minutes when you first start the game.
5. Try Nier Automata, Persona 5 and Last Guardian. It's great to try new games that take you out of your comfort zone, don't just stick to the massive western games.
6. I don't know if you read that or not, maybe it was a video you watched on the new external drive support?.

1 yes optical from the tv should be fine though some tvs only do stereo via optical not surround
2 you have to get a vertical stand shouldnt just put it on its side due toi blocking of air vents
3 you should be able to just log in if not start a new account
4 ps4 disc drive is loud and fans can ramp up and down
5 uncharted 1,2,3,4, the last of us, ratchet and clank, infamous second son and infamous first light. beyond is a great game and of you like that and heavy rain play until dawn. ratchet and clank i liked killzone shadowfall many dont though. if you like bloodborne get nioh. Japanese games last guardian, nier automata, persona 5, yakuza 0, gravity rush 2.
6 yes it supports external harddrives

If you are looking at getting one then the time is right at the moment as the deals are very good.

Yeah no Optical, as I annoyingly found out recently and had forgot about. I can use Optical on the my TV but then it forces all sound via that and I have to mess about with settings so I am just going to plug in a headset into the controller when needed.

You can stand it vertically but need the stand.

Might be worth starting a new PSN Account as you will get 14 days free of PS+. Might also be worth checking out Game and it's bundles as my recent purchase came with 3 months. You can get ones via CDkeys and it's just a case of redeeming it via the store.

Noise wise it is quieter than the launch model, still not as quiet as an Xbox One imo as the fans can ramp up at points and if you have discs then it can be quite noisy but it's not that bad and when I say noisy it';s just it is slightly louder than Xbox One.

Exclusives is all I use mine for.
Ratchet & Clank is fun, I have HZD, UC1>4 and TLOU and a few others like Bloodborne. The most fun so far has been Ratchet & Clank but I have only played an hour or so of HZD.
If you are serious in getting one soon then there is a huge Exclusives Sale on at the moment. I grabbed Journey, TLOU & UC4 for about £32 the weekend and they also have Ratchet & Clank, Bloodborne and loads others. So worth logging into the store and checking out the games on sale. You can grab some bargains.

And yeah it now supports it, you can replace the internal or just add an external. I have not bothered yet as I just have a handful of games digitally.

Cheers gents. Yeah I had a look at that sale in the store when trying to sign in to the webpage. Certainly the likes of U4 and TLOU would be ones i'd definitely grab, but need to sort my ID log in first. Don't really want to create a new ID so might contact them.

When does the sale end? If not missed the boat and I get ID sorted I'd be tempted to purchase the games before the console if need be. Assume once purchased it's the same as XBL, Steam, etc and they're on account and download whenever you want?

Assume once purchased it's the same as XBL, Steam, etc and they're on account and download whenever you want?
Exactly this. DL whenever.

Sale for the exclusives has finished, I think, but there is now a good Easter sale on. Have a word about recovering your login and see what's available.

Exactly this. DL whenever.

Sale for the exclusives has finished, I think, but there is now a good Easter sale on. Have a word about recovering your login and see what's available.

Yeah I got my Tag sorted in the end by changing password. Noticed the exclusive sale was about to end but left it for now. Only really going to use the PS4 for exclusives but for the mainly SP experiences like U4, TLOU, HZD I may just get physical and then trade once done. My Xbox collection is all digital but I know it'll last long term with scorpio etc. For this I may mainly get physical except a few titles that might last the test of time, such as Wipeout, or sale purchases.

IMO no point buying anything other than a pro. So many improvements to all games, no need to have a 4K tv to benefit.

IMO no point buying anything other than a pro. So many improvements to all games, no need to have a 4K tv to benefit.

If it was gong to be my only, or main console I would. I have a massive library of games on Xbox though and will be upgrading to Scorpio too so that will be my multiplayer main console. With PS4 solely for the exclusives and free games the extra expense is too much for me to justify to myself really... Equally im still on 1080p and won't be going 4K for a while yet, hence the benefits would be less impactful. Although I've not pressed the button yet and it has crossed my mind.:rotfl:

I kept flicking between a pro or slim and i am glad i went for the slim and saved myself some cash and used it to buy a load of exclusives. Plus the fact i have played on the slim for about an hour since buying it a few weeks ago and still just play the Xbox. I would of felt bad having the Pro just sit there but don't feel so bad with the slim considering it cost me just under £200.

If i had all my game son PS4 and played MP on it then Pro would of made sense but the slim is more than capable and HZD looks amazing on it along with the other games. I doubt you would be disappointed in a normal PS4 over a pro imo.

I kept flicking between a pro or slim and i am glad i went for the slim and saved myself some cash and used it to buy a load of exclusives. Plus the fact i have played on the slim for about an hour since buying it a few weeks ago and still just play the Xbox. I would of felt bad having the Pro just sit there but don't feel so bad with the slim considering it cost me just under £200.

If i had all my game son PS4 and played MP on it then Pro would of made sense but the slim is more than capable and HZD looks amazing on it along with the other games. I doubt you would be disappointed in a normal PS4 over a pro imo.

Pretty much sums up my thinking and reasoning Tones.

I'm sure you'll enjoy the exclusives, whether you go slim or pro. Uncharted series and The Last of Us are fantastic. You Xbox folks have got an awesome bit of kit in Scorpio to look forward to later this year. I wish we had something as good/fun as Forza Horizon on PS4.

I'm sure you'll enjoy the exclusives, whether you go slim or pro. Uncharted series and The Last of Us are fantastic. You Xbox folks have got an awesome bit of kit in Scorpio to look forward to later this year. I wish we had something as good/fun as Forza Horizon on PS4.

yeah. Horizon 2 and 3 are both stunning.

Another question, does a ps+ membership cover multiple users, ie family, in the same wa xbl gold benefits all users on that machine or family?

Another question, does a ps+ membership cover multiple users, ie family, in the same wa xbl gold benefits all users on that machine or family?
Yes: Have 1 Primary account and buy all your games on that. Set up your other accounts, and as long as they register the same PS4 as their primary machine, all your linked accounts benefit from PS+ and can play all the games purchased on the primary account, in fact, as long as you all share the same primary machine (Activated as Primary), you can play all of each other's games without issue.

Yes: Have 1 Primary account and buy all your games on that. Set up your other accounts, and as long as they register the same PS4 as their primary machine, all your linked accounts benefit from PS+ and can play all the games purchased on the primary account, in fact, as long as you all share the same primary machine (Activated as Primary), you can play all of each other's games without issue.

Nice one, cheers. Will have to set the kids up with accounts when I get one.

Welcome Nem, miss playing with you guys on Xbox! Re- the noise issue, my Xbox One S was louder than my Pro but can't speak for the Slim - first time I saw one was Insomnia i60 yesterday.

Hope to see you online again soon if you get any multiplayer games.

Welcome Nem, miss playing with you guys on Xbox! Re- the noise issue, my Xbox One S was louder than my Pro but can't speak for the Slim - first time I saw one was Insomnia i60 yesterday.

Hope to see you online again soon if you get any multiplayer games.

Hi mate. Yeah we had some good laughs. Did you get rid of your xbox, or do you now have both?

I've not pressed the button yet as debating options. Originally planned on a 500gb, but now some 1tb bundles with HZD and Uncharted 4 for £280 or £270 at Shopto seem a good deal so was set on that, but now being tempted by a pro for longer term outlook as £350 with HZD in some places, and £350 with HZD and infamous SS at GAME....

I intend grabbing Scorpio to cover multi plats and I have large digital library on Xbox so really don't need a pro as will be exclusives and freebies only pretty much, plus I'm only on 1080p for the foreseeable....but it's tempting and might bug me if I don't get one.

Also since planning on getting one and seeing new wipeout due in June, I've really gotten back into Wipeout HD on my PS3... I was going to trade it in, but now debating keeping it while enjoying playing wipeout until June when the new game hits, plus by then E3 may have led to a price drop for the pro to combat Scorpio making that a more realistic proposition..... The flip side is getting one past the misses now will be more viable as it was my birthday last week so can use that as an excuse, lol.

Dilemmas.... I'm away this week but the most likely option at this point is to just grab the 1tb slim with U4 and HZD as I know I really don't need a pro... May order from Currys and collect when back home to make sure I don't miss out on the deal if the bundle ends. Lots of places doing it so obviously being promoted by Sony, hence they could stop it at some point and I'd be kicking myself if so.

Are you set up with a decent 4K tv for your pro?

You should definitively look into getting a US and Canadian account set up. Uncharted collection, TLOU, Dishonored DE and a few others can be had for around £6 currently - you've just missed out on Uncharted for £12 too

You should definitively look into getting a US and Canadian account set up. Uncharted collection, TLOU, Dishonored DE and a few others can be had for around £6 currently - you've just missed out on Uncharted for £12 too

Yeah been meaning to ask about foreign accounts. How does it work as I know it's not like on Xbox.....didn't I read ages ago you actually need different accounts for each, rather than one across all regions?

Definitely after TLOU, but most likely get U4 in a bundle so less concerned on that.

Last edited:
Yes unfortunately you'll need to create an account for each region, its not a great deal of effort but still faffy. You'll also need to buy vouchers to fund the account as it won't allow you to use your PayPal or UK debit/credit card. I use PCGameSupply to buy mine

Yes unfortunately you'll need to create an account for each region, its not a great deal of effort but still faffy. You'll also need to buy vouchers to fund the account as it won't allow you to use your PayPal or UK debit/credit card. I use PCGameSupply to buy mine

Right ok, so you set up US account to buy game..... Do you then have to play whilst signed in on that account also, or can you play on your main uk account to retain trophies etc?

Is there a thread on it somewhere in the PS forum, like there is for foreign options on xbox? I couldn't find one when I looked....

Nope, once downloaded you can play it on your UK account, only thing to be aware of is that you'll need buy any DLC from the same store

Not sure about the forums, sorry

Nope, once downloaded you can play it on your UK account, only thing to be aware of is that you'll need buy any DLC from the same store

Not sure about the forums, sorry

So would you just sign into the console with foreign account, to then see games ready to install, set it to install and then once it's on console any ID signed in can play it, hence re-sign in on main account and job done....?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom