Contactless Card Readers

BT Bob

Distinguished Member
Hi peeps.

When not messing about on here, I’m involved with a community-based sports association that is about to start organising competitions after the lifting of lockdown restrictions makes it feasible.
Historically, entrants have paid a fee “on the day” in cash, but We’re thinking of getting a contactless card reader that connects to the organiser’s smartphone via Bluetooth as a way of minimising contact.

I’m wondering if anyone has any experience of using these?

The 2 favourites seem to be iZettle & SumUp, so any views on these would be appreciated.

TIA 👍

funinacup

Use izettle for work, it's great and very reliable. Fees can be high for low turnover use but in terms of ease if use and portability they're brilliant.

BT Bob

Distinguished Member
Use izettle for work, it's great and very reliable. Fees can be high for low turnover use but in terms of ease if use and portability they're brilliant.
Thanks for the reply.

When you say "fees can be high", you mean the 1.75% payment fees?

We normally charge £7 competition entry fee, so we would use 12.25p per transaction, which is something I think we can carry.

They have an offer on at the moment with the reader at 1/2 price and zero fees for August for existing users (or 30 days after signing-up for new users).

It's more about the reliability and customer service I was looking for feedback on, so thanks again for that. :thumbsup:

BT Bob

Distinguished Member