Consumers confused by HD

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by peterweg, Sep 20, 2007.

1. peterweg

peterweg
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +86
    http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2007/09/20/npd_report_high_definition/

By James Sherwood
    Published Thursday 20th September 2007 15:36 GMT

If you've bought an HD TV, but aren't even considering buying a high definition disc player any time soon, then you're not alone. A report by US market watcher NPD Group has revealed that consumers are still utterly confused by the HD message and that most are still happy with the traditional DVD format.

Do you know what the benefits of a Blu-ray disc are?

The group's report found that of the 5500 or so people it questioned, only 11 per cent of those already owning an HD TV were considering buying either an HD DVD or Blu-ray Disc player in the next six months.

However, the report found that consumers were more aware of the HD DVD format than they were of Blu-ray, but that those who had already bought an HD DVD player did so because it was cheaper than a Blu-ray player. On the flip side, those that had already bought a Blu-ray player did so because they thought it was superior to an HD DVD player.

Or how about the benefits of HD DVD?

Only 23 per cent, identified as “early adopters” by NPD, intend to replace sections of their current DVD collections with an HD format. But 63 per cent of existing HD player owners claimed they would like to buy new releases in an HD format.

2. Pecker

Pecker
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Huddersfield, People's Republic of Yorkshire
    Ratings:
    +4,612
    There you go.

That's the reason why increased high def player ownership hasn't led to massive improvements in high def sales.

Firstly (and I think we knew this) we're not replacing our old collections, but only buying new discs in high def (I'd personally add - with the addition of replacing the odd favourite).

Secxondly, only 63% of us are doing this!

One must presume that the other 37% are what?

Buying the players to future proof?

Steve W

3. TarMoo

TarMoo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +298
    Many upscaling DVD players are marketed as High Def ... the reason is that they have an HDMI output. The AV industry is the cause of most of the confusion.

Most consumers cannot see much difference between HD and a good upscaled picture on their average sized HD screen. HD is a marginal improvement for a massive cost increase. Once HD players and software come down to reasonable levels HD will be adopted by the masses. Until then it will remain a niche produce in the domain for those with more money than sense

4. Deleted member 92943

Deleted member 92943

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Not surprised by this info at all.

My parents who know nothing about Technology want to buy a flat screen TV but keep saying it has to be HD. Why? Because they are getting mixed up with the Digital Freeview switch over.

On the other hand, i am pretty much in the Know about HD and i own a HD-DVD player. Even then i dont rebuy movies i have on DVD. I just but New releases

5. Duncan Harvey

Duncan Harvey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +117
    Massive costs? Marginal increase?

Not really if you've already bought the telly.

I always maintain that those who seek to deny the considerable improvements offered by HD are those who either havent got it or havent seen it.

To be fair if you wander into Currys etc you'll see a poorly set up HD tv being pumped with upscaled SD material. Surely all upscaling does is enable you to fill the screen - it cannot create detail, and cannot compensate for low bit rate SD artefacting. Its basically a con.

Even on a small 32 inch screen, genuine HD blows away SD, and when you move up, to 40, 55 and 100 HD is massively better.

I'm replacing old faves and buying lots of new stuff as well - cannot envisage ever buying another film in SD.

As for the general public being confused - well next they'll be telling us that bears defecate in the woods. In all seriousness who cares what the general public think - they'll eventually catch on, and those of us who have seen the light can acquire our discs from the US and bypass the UK luddites. Fortunately as was the case with DVD 10 years ago, there will always be a critical mass of US enthusiasts to make the formats viable.

Crikey - just realised - its 10 years ago this week that I placed my order for my first R1 dvd player - all because of the release of the original Austin Powers film :)

6. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +411
    :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl: Yes indeed, I wouldn't worry about that, a good 50% can be confused by being shown 2 shovels and told to take their pick. Choosing a HD disc player is always going to be harder than that, especially as pointed out, a large number of ordinary DVD players are mis-labelled, many people's screens are too small, too badly set up, and the consumers themselves have often picked the wrong glasses!

7. brian s

brian s
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15,255
    Two shovels or a pick. Now you're confusing me. A hammer in the works.:D

I do know people who thought they would be hi def if they bought a hi def screen. I was caught out as well over 24 fps. It was one of the things that attracted me to hi def so I bought in with a Toshiba HD DVD player and a Pioneer screen. The Pioneer's 24 fps but the Tosh isn't. It hadn't occured to me that anyone would put out high def gear that wasn't 24 fps. Of course now I've wised up and am aware of the 3/2 pulldown video judder on this "vastly superior format". It beggars belief that a company knowing this could release equipment with a built in problem that will make a complete lie of it's claim for it.

Cheers
    Bri

8. Duncan Harvey

Duncan Harvey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +117
    but to what extent is it a built in problem?

3:2 pulldown has been a fact of life for all 60hz territories, and for those of us using NTSC for LD and DVD. Hence 3:2 pulldown hardly prevents HD from being a vastly superior format.

Its more a case that displays have now evolved and the hardware can now be tweaked to offer 24hz output (or a multiple thereof).

Its nice to have, but hardly a deal breaker.

9. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +411
    Your Pioneer should not judder with 3:2 pulldown, put it in pure cinema mode.

10. brian s

brian s
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15,255
    It already is.

All the best
    Bri