Consumer rights on a repaired item which is faulty again

avp

Previously PPP
Long story short, I bought a Rotel amp back in 2016. Earlier this year it went faulty so I had repaired by B&W for a cost. Fast forward 8 months and it's faulty again with the same fault. Do I have any rights to have it repaired without cost? The previous repair only came with a 90-day warranty.

Aprreciate any advice.

noiseboy72

Distinguished Member
Probably worth a discussion with them first.What is the fault? Is it likely to be caused by a design fault on the part of Rotel, or is it due to some strange quirk of your system - a speaker that dips to a very low impedance at a certain frequency or something external causing the amplifier to go into oscillation?

I think if you have had it repaired before, you have ruled out a faulty component, so a design fault would seem the most likely.

avp

Previously PPP
Probably worth a discussion with them first.What is the fault? Is it likely to be caused by a design fault on the part of Rotel, or is it due to some strange quirk of your system - a speaker that dips to a very low impedance at a certain frequency or something external causing the amplifier to go into oscillation?

I think if you have had it repaired before, you have ruled out a faulty component, so a design fault would seem the most likely.
I'm in discussion with them but so far they've said I'd need to pay for the repair again. I'm not sure of the exact fault but the amp doesn't output any audio - the power button just flashes (Rotel RKB-8100). The repair was almost £300 so reluctant to have to pay that again.

The Dreamer

Distinguished Member
I'm in discussion with them but so far they've said I'd need to pay for the repair again. I'm not sure of the exact fault but the amp doesn't output any audio - the power button just flashes (Rotel RKB-8100). The repair was almost £300 so reluctant to have to pay that again.

Do you know what work was carried out last time?

I'd find a decent electrical repair shop (like hen's teeth though) and see if they can fix it.

There's a guy up here in Hexham that would probably have a look at it - but it's a bit of a schlep if you're not local!

Thug

Try reaching out to Rotel.
I know its 5 years old, but they may be able to help seeing as though its already been repaired once (especially if it was by an authorised dealer).

avp

Previously PPP
Do you know what work was carried out last time?

I'd find a decent electrical repair shop (like hen's teeth though) and see if they can fix it.

There's a guy up here in Hexham that would probably have a look at it - but it's a bit of a schlep if you're not local!
Annoyingly the repair invoice doesn't state what was replaced/fixed. I'll have a look if there's any repair shops around me that might take a look, if things don't work out with B&W.
Try reaching out to Rotel.
I know its 5 years old, but they may be able to help seeing as though its already been repaired once (especially if it was by an authorised dealer).
I reached out to Rotel Europe initially and got redirected to B&W (I think they're the same?). Either way they handle all support/service enquiries from what I can see.

Carbon 60

Hi,

According to this Which? article about faulty products -

"If a defect develops after the first six months, the burden is on you to prove that the product was faulty at the time the goods were delivered to you. In practice, this may require some form of expert report, opinion or evidence of similar problems or defects across the product range.

The retailer can also make a deduction from any refund for fair use after the first six months of ownership if an attempt at a repair or replacement is unsuccessful.

You have up to six years to take a claim to the small claims court for faulty goods in England, Wales and Northern Ireland, and five years in Scotland. This doesn't mean that a product has to last six years - just that you have this length of time in which to make a claim if a retailer refuses to repair or replace a faulty product
."

I suggest you call the Citizens Advice consumer helpline for free on 0808 223 1133 (Mon-Fri 9-5).

avp

Previously PPP
Thanks for the advice. I've had a reply from B&W saying they are going to try and arrange a free repair as a goodwill gesture. Fingers crossed they come though.

avp

Previously PPP
B&W have agreed to repair the amp for free so happy days! Pleased with their service.

The latest video from AVForums

Sony Bravia XR A80J OLED TV Review
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom