1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Consumer rights....How long should a TV last....Having trouble with a retailer

Discussion in 'TVs' started by mcaw, Apr 13, 2005.

1. mcaw

mcaw
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    My TV recently stopped working ( tube short ) which will cost a fair bit to repair, probably not worth it. Have spoken to supplier, and exchanged a couple of letters. According to Trading Standards, they have an obligation to repair the telly for free, or refund a proportion of the purchase price, if it has not lasted a "reasonable time".
    The telly cost £600 30 mths ago. The retailers defence is that this is a reasonable length of time. The lady at trading standards thinks it probably isn't, but says if they are really digging their heels in, then I would have to take them to the small claims court ( cost £30 ). She says that an independant view on how long a telly should last would help my case. As an aside the retailer initially suggested I approach Philips with my complaint. This I did, and they offered me a tube at a reduced price. This I think supports my case in that Philips although offering a "gesture of goodwill" are recognising the fact that my telly has broke early.
    So any opinions ? any TV engineers willing to give a view on tube life ? Any willing to put it in writing.

Martin

2. Astaroth

Astaroth

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +114
    As you purchased the item prior to the 31st March 2003 your rights are under a much more unclear - anything purchased after this date is clearly covered under contract by the revisions to the Sales of Goods Act which now states that all goods should last a 'reasonable' period (max 6 years England/Walse or 5 years Scotland).

The main difficulty faced by those who do try to claim their rights under the revised act is getting a definition of 'reasonable period'. You could either commission a 'respectable' engineers report into the fault to give his expert opinion and cost the repair (a cost incured to make your claim should be recoverable if you win) or ask Philips to give their expected lifespan on the set (prehaps without saying why you want it) as your case sounds as if it will be against the retailer and not the manufacturer.