Consumer Law claim success

drb99

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Had my Mid 2012 15" MBP Retina for just under two years now, and the warranty expired after 1 year (I didn't bother with Applecare).

It had the 1st gen LG panel fitted, and it was exhibiting pretty bad screen ghosting (image retention).

Phoned Apple (it was bought from them online originally), and I mentioned the UK Consumer Law option to try and get the screen replaced for free.

They were excellent, told me the process, which I followed, and I now have it back, fitted with a brand new screen (it's the 2nd gen LG one, I have checked) - all free of charge.

So, it can be done, if you have any issues with your Apple hardware that you believe exist due to a hardware fault (in this case an inherent fault with the original LG screens), and it's out of warranty, I'd advise you to follow up with Apple and state that you want to make a Consumer Law claim. It may well be successful, depending of course on the nature of the fault and the age of your hardware.

Apple (United Kingdom) - Legal - Apple Products and Consumer Law in the United Kingdom

https://www.apple.com/legal/warranty...oryrights.html

Excellent service, thumbs up Apple.

Did you not have to prove the fault occurred within the 1st 6 months of purchase?

Nope, though I did mention that I happen to know (from lots of forum threads) that the first gen LG panels are all riddled with this problem..

I can't imagine any court ruling that a 2 year old £1500-odd laptop with a faulty screen is of sufficient quality/fit for purpose.

1500GBP, got mine for $1200 at an Apple store in the US 11 months ago, TBF they had some offer on. Snapped their hand off.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom