CONSTANTLY CHANGING SOUND FORMAT

M4martin0

Novice Member
Reaction score
i have a sony str dn 1080 connected to a sony bravia tv.
can anyone help with sound fields.
my amp seems to play everything in “multi ch stereo”
i keep going into the str settings and changing the sound field to “AFD”auto format decoding
which i would assume is supposed to select the correct playback format base in the input signal,so music is 2 channel films are dolby digital
but every time i change the input source i’m back at “multi ch st” which is really spoiling the experience
anyone any tips

You have to set the sound field for each input individually eg set avr to hdmi1 then hdmi2 and so on 'AFD'. All mine are 'AFD' except my virgin v6 box which is neural:X because virgin streams a lot of channels in stereo so with 'AFD' you get no sound form the centre speaker

Multi Channel Stereo is a mode and not an audio format. If playing everything in this mode then this suggests you've set all sources to use this mode. Each source has its own independant setting for the audio and it will retain the last mode you set for that source. If you cjange sources from one set to AFD to another then the mode will change to whayever mode was last used for that source. THe mode settings are not universal and if you change the mode it only effects the source you are set to when you changed it.

Sorry to resurrect this old thread, but I feel it's important as I've just hit the same issue as the original poster. I've used Sony Amps for years, set it to AFD so it gives me Dolby, DTS, Stereo dependant on what the source delivers. But, just added a new A80J TV and as they state, it now resets to multi stereo every time you change input or switch apps. Very frustrating.

This occurs because the newer Sony Bravia TVs feed back their own sound settings via Arc or E-Arc dependant on what is set in the TV (not amp) menu. You need to go into the Home menu > Display & Sound > Audio Output and disable Sound mode sync. This then stops the TV sending a signal to the amp to switch the sound field automatically.
Alternately, under Home menu > Display & Sound > Sound, setting the field mode to 'Cinema' also has the same effect.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom