Constantine

berry999

Standard Member
Reaction score
Just watched Constantine on my Pioneer DV575A and Panny Plasma and i could barely hear the actors voices, had to keep turning it up when they spoke and turning it down when any action occurred. Even doing this i think i only understood about 50% of what was said.

Is this a particularly bad soundtrack or did i just get a bad disc??

its a loud movie, i had a bit of "volume up and downing" to do, but i didnt notice it being too bad. But Mr Reeves does mubble a bit. :)

Gary

i noticed this earlier as well, had put volume a lot louder than usaul!
and still not very clear speech, you are not alone!!!!

Same here - found myself constantly adjusting the volume. Ruined the (mumble) film for me - I'll try again in the near future with headphones on (they should have had James Masters - Spike from Buffy - playing Constantine anyway - he would have been perfect)

I watched this the other night also. It is quiet in places but more interesting, the film was pants. :) Worst £12.99 I've spent for a while. ;)

ResB said:
I watched this the other night also. It is quiet in places but more interesting, the film was pants. :) Worst £12.99 I've spent for a while. ;)

It kind of reminded me of a modern day exorcist. :devil:

I kept expecting Agent Smith to pop up :suicide:

Cheers chaps...at least i know i'm not going mutton now!

i agree. i thought it was my centre speaker - the womans voice was too quiet for me. I quite enjoyed the film, some of the ideas were good but it did not quite grab me enough to be a good film. Keanu was better than usual. Peter Storamare was good casting. Worth renting

We watched "Constantine" last nght. Develish fun with some rather awesome bass moments! There were some superb (infrasonic) inaudible pulses which shook our chairs violently. :devil:

Entertaining film with lots of visually believable special effects. Though the story and character developments were practically non-existant. This film actually seems worse as a memory than while actually watching it.

Not really frightening but I certainly don't think it would be very suitable for young kids.

The second (features) CD had noticeable sound level imbalances. But not the film itself as far as I noticed. There was certainly no problem with speech on my 2 + 2.1 system.

A "hirer" rather than a "buyer" but with a few really amazing bass moments.

Nimby

I thought it was great but will be holding off to buy till they release a DTS version. I have Dialgoue enhance on my AMP so hopefully I won't have the problem. I rented it from blockbuster and will watch it again tonight.

Picked up the R3 release awhile ago but still havent got around to watching it lol but thanks for the warning, will keep the remote to hand.

Indiana Jones said:
Picked up the R3 release awhile ago but still havent got around to watching it lol but thanks for the warning, will keep the remote to hand.

I have the R3 and mine is o.k. great soundtrack.

mine was quiet and muffled too...but luckily I won't be watching it too often...

I think my earlier post come across as a bit too negative. It was great fun to watch and some of the visual effects were absolutely stunning. Probably state of the art in parts. It would be very difficult not to enjoy it just for the action scenes and audio track. :D

Nimby

I might just rent it tonight and give my sub another workout.

I didn't have a problem :confused: It sounded fine to me! I didn't have to change the volume, listened to it at between -18 and -20dB like most films :)

No problems with the sound on my copy either (a rental) and a good popcorn movie aswell,great bass really had my room rocking!!!!!!!

Thought it was really bad! Just didn't suit Keanau at all. Sound was rubbish, couldn't understand half the dialogue even though I kept the volume at 21db.

Wife enjoyed it though!! But oddly enough she always seems to like movies with Mr Reeves in!!

Same problem here with the R3 that I got a while ago. The dialogue in most places seemed very muffled and I was constantly reaching for the remote.

The bass was fantastic in places but having to keep adjusting the volume was a bit annoying!

Thought the movie was OK but nothing special. Not complaining as it only cost me £7.99 for the 2 discer :smashin:

Hi,

I thought the movie was OK. Problem was I'd already read the Hellblazer comic books on which it is 'based'. The movie kept some characters names but that was about it. The comic was set (mostly) in the UK. Now a movie which kept to the comic book plot would have been seriously cool. Esp with Clive Owen or Gary Oldman as John Constantine.

Regards,

Jules.

Sound was fine to me and the dialog comes through clear on my centre speaker.

Maybe you need to look at the centre speaker or the set-up?

come off it...they mumble to much..and they do it to sound tough...movie was ok though

Lionheart said:
come off it...they mumble to much..and they do it to sound tough...movie was ok though

I'm afraid it sounds as if you have a hole in the dialogue region of your system frequency response. There was no problem with dialogue on my system. There would also be droves of people agreeing with you if the film sound track was badly recorded. I'd get an SPL meter and run some test tones.

http://www.snapbug.ws/sinewaves/

Have you had your hearing checked lately? Masking is a common form of deafness amongst those who suffer from high noise levels at work or attend too many loud pop concerts. Or you may just need your ears rinsed by your GP or practice nurse.

BTW: I'm trying to be helpful here if there was any doubt. I have suffered from masking all my life after attending weekly pop concerts in a local hall as a teeenager when sound levels weren't limited. My ears would ring for a week afterwards when a top group had played. And I saw (and heard) many of the great names of the 60s. :cool:

Then there was the school .303 target shooting practice without ear defenders.... Pardon? :rolleyes:

Take care of your ears. Spares aren't available yet.

Regards
Nimby

I do agree that the R3 did seem to have a lot of the centre channel mix sounding slightly 'distant' and muffled when compared to the rest. It may be that the other speakers are being worked harder and the difference between some of the 'louder' scenes and then quiet talking are what is causing it to seem muffled?

Maybe this was intentional by the film makers and some people just did not pick up on it but I found it a little annoying. The sound and dialogue was not drowned out by the rest of the mix but it was just instinct to reach for the remote to turn up the volume when the cast started talking again ;)

Mt system was set up with a SPL meter recently and I have perfect hearing (had a check recently as part of my job)

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom