Constant stuttering - anyone else?

SgtHartman

Novice Member
Hi,

I have noticed that my 360 seems to have a constant perceptable stutter in GR:AW and COD2. I dont believe this to be a framerate issue as it does not get better/worse when there is less/more on screen action - it seems constant. It is slightly hard to explain but every couple of seconds there is a slight jerk forward - anyone else seen/explain this or is my 360 on its way back to MS yet again.

In fact I downloaded the Quake 4 demo last night and the opening scene of that - the bit with the ships and bodies in space - was terrible, far more noticeable stutters than GRAW, and yet when actually playing the game it seemed fine - smooth and no problems...

By the way I am using a component connection on a DLP rear pro..

Thanks!

SgtHartman

Novice Member
I just setup it up for 720p and did not select the frequency - not sure what it is on - how do I change that?

I also tried 1080i and it made no improvement (my TV is 720p native...)

Thanks for your help!

Mr Quint

Distinguished Member
Might be worth a try, you need to ( I think ) hook your 360 to a SD Tv and switch the cable to SD then go into your system blade and switch your 360 to 60Hz, switch of your 360 and plug it back into your HD Display and switch the cable back to HD power up your 360 and bingo. smooth games.

Give it a bash and let me know how you get on, i really hope this helps. :smashin:

Indiana Jones

Also if you havent already set it to PAL60hz under the SD options then it really needs doing as it will prevent problems in future.

SgtHartman

Novice Member
Great thanks guys - I will definately give it a go.

Only minor problem is that I havent got an SD TV, can I change the switch on the cable and plug it into my HD TV and change the SD settings like that?

Thanks

jay_brown55

I'm running my 360 at 720p (60hz) and the picture stutters a bit on the Quake 4 demo intro. Sound is ok though. I've also noticed some stuttering on cut-scenes in PD Zero. Only ever see it in intros, cut-scenes etc, never in-game. GRAW is fine.

It worried me for a while, but now I've just put it down to bad programming.
Swapping between 50/60hz, SD/HD, 480/720/1080 made absolutely no difference either. I've got a Tosh 37WLT66 connected by component if that helps.

Maybe someone else can watch the 'floating bodies' intro from the Quake 4 demo and see if they can spot the stuttering.

M

Mr Smith

The US xbox.com tab for ghost recon says its hard drive enhanced so maybe it has that fragmentation problem that oblivion has and clearing the cache when you load it up by holding A would work but then again it says nothing about being hard drive enhanced on the box so maybe its a mistake on xbox.com (wouldn't be the first time).

Yes

Cybergeek12 said:
Great thanks guys - I will definately give it a go.

Only minor problem is that I havent got an SD TV, can I change the switch on the cable and plug it into my HD TV and change the SD settings like that?

Thanks

Mr Quint

Distinguished Member
jay_brown55 said:
I'm running my 360 at 720p (60hz) and the picture stutters a bit on the Quake 4 demo intro. Sound is ok though. I've also noticed some stuttering on cut-scenes in PD Zero. Only ever see it in intros, cut-scenes etc, never in-game. GRAW is fine.
It seems that PDZ's cut scenes stutter for everyone, but a fine test of 50/60Hz is Kameo, just watch the intro/title screen in 50 :nono: then watch it in 60 :clap: , everyone should set there 360's to 60Hz no matter what ( thats if your TV is ok with the signal ).

Sami

I got Quake 4 when I first bought my 360 - the intro scene with the ship stuttered on mine and also had the few judders during the game itself..

Never had any problems on any other games - I read in a few reviews that Quake 4 inexcplicably suffered from frame rate issues, so I just put it down to that considering everything else (including GRAW) has been fine...

SgtHartman

Novice Member
Cheers for all your help guys - just got home and my Xbox is set on PAL 60 so not sure why I have been getting stuttering.

Far more annoyingly my gamer profile or whatever it is called has been corrupted - looks like I have lost all my saved games etc again!!!

Getting on to MS support...