Question Constant Panel Noise (possibly) on new LG CX.

Yeah I don't notice it other than on the menu screen to be honest.

And I (think) I've nearly completed the game, which looks incredible considering it's running on 7 year old hardware.

I've had issues with my CX 48 in a similar vein I believe. But I wasn't sure until I viewed the same content on both my venerable old 43" Pioneer plasma and the OLED simultaneously via both the built in LG apps and then 2x Apple TVs, with DV and match content/frame rate enabled for the OLED. I did not test with 4K Bluray as I have no intention of viewing these in real life. I watch mainly Netflix and now increasingly Disney streaming and whether the content is upscaled HD or UHD 4K or Dolby Vision the CX is presenting an image with what to me appears to be intrusive processing and that is with everything turned off (AI Pro/TruMotion etc).

It's hard to explain but the best way I can put it is-the plasma at my 2-3m viewing distance looks photographic or painterly, the LG looks electronic with a sort of 'sheen' applied across motion/between frames. This is not SOE. It's worse on upscaled images where it will be ok for say a locked off shot but then cut to a steadicam shot and it looks like really cheap video that's been standards converted. You then notice the acting - and the spell is broken. The King, a beautifully shot recent Netflix film in 4k UHD, which looked solid and 3d-like on the plasma, became a bunch of 2d objects in a 3d plane, i.e. there was no depth to each object even though they were stacked against each other in a 3d plane with space between them. Info showed 15.25Mbps and 2160 resolution, not the throttled Netflix half bandwidth. Ditto Ozark, Giri/Haji, all 4K or DV and same issue. Disney's recent Star Wars stuff looked better for the full CG but as soon as live action or faces were involved the problem was evident.

After 2 weeks of tweaking and then looking at a current Sony A8 in a 55 with all the processing off at Richer Sounds in Holborn, I believe there is a level of processing inherent to the LG chip that can be disabled on the Sony. The movement was rougher but felt like a more transparent baseline to begin from so I am now holding out for the 48" A9 due in a few months.

The LG experiment was fun but simply made me appreciate my 2005 pre-1080p plasma for it's believability and coherence. I now realise that for me, black level and ultimate sharpness matter less than I thought for the content I watch.

Apologies if this reads more like a generic oled v plasma rant, not my intention at all.

(FWIW I have worked in TV production as an offline editor for the last 20+ years)
A late reply to your post, but I’ve just recently purchased the LG 48” CX OLED, and what you said above mirrors exactly what I’m experiencing. I’ve also worked in TV post-production, though not to the level or extent that you have, and I’m generally a huge film and cinema buff. I’m the guy that goes to the cinema half an hour before the showing to find the exactly best seat.

You really hit the nail on the head when you said about it looking electronic, rather than photographic in nature. And that it’s as if each actor is a separate 2D object in a 3D plane. I’ve tried various material with various pre-calibrated and customised settings, and there’s some processing that’s simply “baked in” to the LG set.

For people who say that you need to “get used to OLED”, I call BS on that. I’ve seen various material with various technology over the years, and none have - or should - require a time period to get used to it. My eyes and brain aren’t going to defy the rules of evolution and rewire themselves over a course of a few months. If something looks wrong to my eyes, it’s wrong to begin with and end with (at least to mine, I might be more sensitive to it).

Did you have any luck with the Sony, and if so which set did you purchase and how has it faired? I’ve heard that the Sony A9 processes better for film and TV, with better filmic motion, but that’s about as technical as I’ve heard people put it.

Everything you said (to the letters) exactly mirrors what I found, so I’d love to hear how you’ve progressed.

Thanks

A late reply to your post, but I’ve just recently purchased the LG 48” CX OLED, and what you said above mirrors exactly what I’m experiencing. I’ve also worked in TV post-production, though not to the level or extent that you have, and I’m generally a huge film and cinema buff. I’m the guy that goes to the cinema half an hour before the showing to find the exactly best seat.

You really hit the nail on the head when you said about it looking electronic, rather than photographic in nature. And that it’s as if each actor is a separate 2D object in a 3D plane. I’ve tried various material with various pre-calibrated and customised settings, and there’s some processing that’s simply “baked in” to the LG set.

For people who say that you need to “get used to OLED”, I call BS on that. I’ve seen various material with various technology over the years, and none have - or should - require a time period to get used to it. My eyes and brain aren’t going to defy the rules of evolution and rewire themselves over a course of a few months. If something looks wrong to my eyes, it’s wrong to begin with and end with (at least to mine, I might be more sensitive to it).

Did you have any luck with the Sony, and if so which set did you purchase and how has it faired? I’ve heard that the Sony A9 processes better for film and TV, with better filmic motion, but that’s about as technical as I’ve heard people put it.

Everything you said (to the letters) exactly mirrors what I found, so I’d love to hear how you’ve progressed.

Thanks

hello very late reply to this but just in case anyone is still having this issue. I went crazy trying to figure out why I had this constant “static” on my lg cx when playing TLOU or watching movies. This is the film grain effect and its purposefully added. I think it looks awful. For most games you can shut it off in the in game menu. On TLOU it’s called film grain effect. Sadly, I’m not sure if you can turn it off when streaming movies as it is purposefully added by filmmakers. If anyone knows a way to shut it off on streaming platforms I’m all ears.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom