Constant hard drive chatter on Amstrad DRX 895

easyyards

Standard Member
Well guys, I've installed a new 1TB box yesterday afternoon. I forced a software update and all went well. I selected sky sports hd and the message on screen informed me that the card wasn't paired with this box and there was a phone number to call. fingers crossed I called it. There was a really long message informing me of problems with the weather and staff getting to work and to expect long delays! Then suddenly a human being spoke, couldn't be this easy surely? The lovely sounding lady asked the usual questions and within one second of the last one up popped sky sports hd!
Wow, surely not, it worked to perfection!
Now back to reality, within 20 minutes the entire box froze and I had to perform a reset, which worked but now we have a constant chatter from the hard drive. It clicks away day and night in stand by or turned on, recording or not! I've tried turning off instant rewind, but it makes no difference.
Any idea's guy? Is it just a "settling" in period?
I know its a little gripe, but honestly the constant chatter is already driving us mad!
Is this the start of a hard drive failure perhaps? Surely if this is a problem its only going to get worse? I bought it from a wholesaler direct, not Sky, should I go straight back for a replacement?
Thanks in advance.

Restorer

Yes, a you shouldn't really be able to hear the drive working unless you get close to it.

Get the box replaced :smashin:.

Sparky32

Hi, My recently purchased drx895 is also noisy when recording or seeking the hard disk, I can hear it during quiet bits in TV, not constant but definitely noticeable when recording, is there a way to enable AAM on the drives or is it already enabled and its just a noisy drive? The thomson I just replaced was completely silent

Thanks

pwood

Hi, My recently purchased drx895 is also noisy when recording or seeking the hard disk, I can hear it during quiet bits in TV, not constant but definitely noticeable when recording, is there a way to enable AAM on the drives or is it already enabled and its just a noisy drive? The thomson I just replaced was completely silent

Thanks
Thomson! Silent! Never thought I would read that. My old now replaced due to dying Thomson was anything but quiet. OP your box sounds faulty as it should be silent when turned off and not recording.

Sparky32

Thomson! Silent! Never thought I would read that. My old now replaced due to dying Thomson was anything but quiet.
My Thomson was upgraded with a 1TB drive with AAM enabled hence silent, I am thinking of doing same to the new amstrad if this noise is standard?

Top Bottom