1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Console Wars

Discussion in 'Nintendo Forums' started by blue73, Jun 8, 2003.

1. blue73

blue73
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Just a little question,
    Is anyone really bothered about which console is better or are we all pretty happy that there is so much on offer. Personally Im glad we have a choice. Jeeese look at what we have to play with. A single console, no thanks keep it as it is.... May the war continue :clap:

2. RL123

RL123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I want there to be at least 2 consoles in every generation - a single format would be the end of the industry IMO. I don't care about power - I picked the PS2 for the wide range of games and a Cube because, IMO, it has the best line-up of games that I like to play

Personally I don't understand why people have to defend their consoles choice so vigorously if someone says they don't like. It's pathetic. There isn't anyone like that on here now, but there has been in the past.

If you want a good chuckle, go to Gamers.com and read the user hype for the big games like Mario Kart, Halo 2 etc. Some of the fanboy comments are almost too funny :D

3. andy572

andy572
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Sadly and despite being in his early twenties, my younger brother is one such exponent of certain hardware (read: fanboy! :boring: ).

I try to have sensible discussions with him re: it being about the games but somehow, I'm always wide of the mark and/or he's unable to listen. He was pro-PS2... dismissing Halo (for example) as boring - until he bought an Xbox! :eek: He still seems to hold the PS2 as being the 'be all, end all' however and despite now being a dual-format player, won't defer to the goodness that is Nintendo. Somehow it pains him to acknowledge that some titles might actually be worthy. Mention the 'N' word and he'll respond every time with 'kiddie' :rolleyes:

Thing is, he's a smart guy; I just don't get it.

Up until 'The Great Argos Push-off That Isn't' of 2003, I had the same with my friend. Due to the price, he relented and bought his second-ever console (after a PlayStation). These days, although he too appreciates titles on other formats, he can't sing the praises of his 'Cubey' enough! :laugh:

If only I could get him onto 'Monkey Ball'... :rotfl:

4. blue73

blue73
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    A couple of days before I took the leap and bought an XBox. Me and a mate at work swapped consoles for a couple of weeks, he had my PS2 and I borrowed his Game Cube. Out of the eight or nine games that came with his Cube, Super Monkey Ball was the only one I had carried on playin'. I've not played anything like that for years. If there has been any reason for purchacing a Cube, this is the it. Even better S M B 2 is out aswell with even more mini games, Quality:smashin:

5. JUS

JUS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +221
    I own both Xbox and GC. My nephew asked me the other day which is best...him and his bro are already starting to plan what to get for Xmas :rolleyes: ...I gave the both good in their own right answer.

Few of my mates own PS2's. I think they're OK. I enjoy playing games on them (Pro Evo2). I can't really see the point in slating them....or buying one either :D

6. Azrikam

Azrikam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm interested in the console wars in the same way I like a good boxing match... I want to see who is going to win, and just what each competitor is going to pull out when it comes down to the wire.

But, as a gamer, I know that we need 2 or more consoles at any given time. (3 is much better than 2 even) This is part of the reason why I jumped on the XBox bandwagon so early. Sony is dangerously close to controlling the console industry. Once any company (yes, even Nintendo!) controls 100% of the market, gamers can expect the quality of the games to go down, and the prices to go up. Competition is good for consumers, plain and simple.

Anyone remember how much you paid for an Atari 2600 game? And there were some truly dire games pumped out for that system while they were on top.

So, if you want to continue buying good, cheap games, always buy the least popular console. :D (how's that for advice?)

7. zoolap

zoolap

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    #3 is the magic number# ;)

8. dsw182

dsw182

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    It's true - there should always be at least two consoles on the market, with each new generation. It provides the best choice for each individual gamer & in a perfect world creates games which are fresh & exciting.

I decided to buy a GC & have never regretted my decision. I am not anti xbox or ps2, i just preferred the GC. I owned a PS before that. I didnt go for the PS2 as i wanted a change.

I think the xbox is great for making 'PC-style' gaming easier to get into & setup, ie - without the installation & hardware problems.

9. SILVERBACK

SILVERBACK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +73
    you can sum the war up quite easily really,the cube is dead,the ps2 is a letdown,and the xbox is better than i thought it was gonna be but still behind the ps2.it has to be ps2 for footie xbox for FPS and racing not to mention awesome 5.1 and the cube for er well er a door stop or mario lol.

10. JUS

JUS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +221
    You startin' sumfink Silvaback?

11. Sinzer

Sinzer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings: