Console virgin needs help connecting PS3 to internet

Discussion in 'Playstation Forums' started by Mikeybloo, Apr 27, 2007.

1. Mikeybloo

Mikeybloo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Sorry if I am being a dumb noob, but have just got my PS3 and it's my first ever console, thought all I needed to connect to internet was a phone point by the PS3 and a phone cable. Obviously I've now discovered its an ethernet connection. I don't know what I need now to link the ethernet cable into the phone point in my lounge. I read about modems and routers but I've no idea what to get, could someone just tell me the product to get and I'll order it.

I have a PC in a separate room wired via an Orange USB modem to the phone line. I won't be trying to access internet with PS3 and PC at the same time, so maybe I don't need a router? If so, what's a good but inexpensive modem to get. Wi-fi options are out, just want a simple PS3 to modem to phone point link behind my TV.

Cheers for any advice.

2. RSVdaz

RSVdaz
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +49
    is your orange modem a wireless router as well? probably not.
    the options you have is
    1. long ethernet cable to modem and swap over pc/ps3
    2. get a modem/non wireless router and long cable
    3. get a wireless modem/router
    4. you can access internet through pc with crossover cable but you would still need long cable

3. figoagogo

figoagogo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +579
    I can try to help, but my first question is what are you using to connect your PC to the web, that fact that you say ORANGE USB Modem, I guess you have Orange broadband?

AND are you saying your PS3 is near a phone line or an ethernet connection? If its is a ethernet connection can you confirm that this is a working ethernet connection?

4. Mikeybloo

Mikeybloo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Thanks for your replies chaps, I knew I wouldn't have provided enough info. PS3 is in my lounge, a long way from my PC in my study, so not possible to physically link the two with long cables. I have Orange broadband, my PC links via their modem to phone point in my study. PS3 is under TV in lounge, behind which is another BT phone point, which I naively thought I would just plug into with a basic phone cable (thought the PS3 had an inbuilt modem). Can I just get some sort of modem into which I can plug the ethernet cable from the PS3 and then plug the modem into the wall phone point and then connect? Not worried about having PC internet access at the same time. Hope this might help you guide me.

5. figoagogo

figoagogo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +579
    Its at this point I become a bit thick, its ages since I have connected over a good ole BT line.

I may be wrong here, but I don't think the PS3 has a modem, it has an ethernet port that will let you plug it into a broadband modem/router, it also has wireless built in, which means it will also connect via a wireless modem/router.

So the options I think are:

To get an ADSL wireless router fitted near your PC (which both the PC and PS3 will use)

OR

To get some kind of wireless adapter that plugs in to your PC, which the PS3 can access (but your PC will have to be on to use)

I must admit I am stuggling here, if I was there I am sure I could help, but it hard for my to think about it from here.

6. Mikeybloo

Mikeybloo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Boy, they don't make it easy for us non-techies. Surely you must be able to plug the PS3 into a modem and into the wall at the TV without having to have routers and wireless stuff in other rooms? I thought a console is supposed to be easy for everyone to use (admittedly it was easy to plug in and set-up, it's just the internet bit that seems tricky). Having to have the PC on just to play PS3 online seems a bit of a hassle, so I guess it'll have to be an ADSL wireless router at the PC. Any ideas on best place to get one? Are they easy to set-up?

7. Moogle

Moogle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,398
    If you're going to get a wireless router the three best brands are Netgear, Linksys and D-Link. The model I would suggest and recommend is the Netgear DG834G. It's very easy to set up and user friendly. The phone line would go into the modem jack in the back of the router and then an ethernet cable from the router to your PC. The PS3 would access it wirelessly.

As far as where to get one I haven't looked recently but if you want one at the best price then it's best to do some research and check out both the various online computer hardware retailers as well as local stores. Online will probably be cheaper.

8. Mickus

Mickus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +332
    There are easy to setup - where it gets complicated is accommodating home networks...

Yes, you can just buy a ethernet ADSL modem for the PS3 and use that. As you have already stated that you won't be using the PC & PS3 at the same time - why bother with a router (which can be complicated to setup correctly - DMZ, port forwarding, firewalls etc).

As for which one to get - I can't personally recommend any as I've never used one. Go for a decent make like NetGear, Linksys etc, ensure it's ADSL2 compatible for future proofing.

Plug the PS3 into the modem, then connect the phone line from the modem to your wall socket via an ADSL filter. Then go into the PS3's Settings/Network settings menu & setup the following:

Wired connection.
    Custom
    Auto-detect
    PPPoE (enter you ADSL username & password provided by your ISP)
    Automatic
    Automatic
    Do Not use
    Enable

Confirm settings and perform a test.

Easy-peasy. More info here:

http://manuals.playstation.net/document/en/ps3/current/settings/connectadvance.html

9. Mikeybloo

Mikeybloo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Thank you all for your help and patience with my lack of knowledge on this. Mickus, I think you have suggested just what I need and thanks for your advice on set-up. Top man!!! Let's just hope it all works....