Console Video Delay Problem

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs Forum' started by DDRUK_Lawrence, May 21, 2004.

1. DDRUK_Lawrence

DDRUK_Lawrence
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi All,

I have spent a long time reading these boards but this is my first post. This is aimed at Panasonic TH-42PWD6BX owners using an Xbox.

I have as part of my kit a DVDO iScan HD doing a great job on Sky+ and DVD. When trying to use the Xbox into it there was a very noticeable delay between an action made with the controller (eg. a button press / joystick movement) and that action displaying on the screen. The processing in the iScan HD causes such a big delay it made Rhythm games impossible and trying to drive in PGR2 was lets say "interesting".

If the Xbox is connected directly into the screen via aTY-42TM6Z (RCA Component Video Terminal Board) or component to HD15 via a TY-42TM6P (VGA Terminal Board) is there a video delay (I imagine there must be some delay at least) and does this make game input delay problems noticeable? I play rhythm games so it's important that the controller reacts immediately to what's displayed on screen. There is an adjustment in the game for audio sync so that's not too much of a problem. The main issue was with the reaction time of the controller to screen.

One last point, I am still running the screen in so my brightness and contrast are fairly low but when testing Project Gotham 2 the game was so dark I could hardly see anything. The rhythm game I tested displayed just fine. Even turing the brightness setting up in the game on PGR2 didn't help much. I assume this game is just horribly dark! Anyone else experienced this? (this was using the MS Hi Def pack and component cables).

2. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +411
    I've installed quite a few of these screens with consoles in general, and x-box specifically on several occasions. I have not found this problem at all, so maybe it is to do with the iscan. Can you try it without, just to check? With the hi def pack it'll look pretty good anyway, it might turn out to be a permanent solution. It sounds more like the sort of thing that if it were a PC you'd do a restart for, low on system resources. iscan do delay the video a bit, but generally you are looking at 0.2 secs max, usually less.

3. NeilMcRae

NeilMcRae

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Not an issue with my Xbox'es straight into a Panny 5, 6 and 6HD. No IScan though. Not sure why you need to route the Xbox through the HD anyway. If you want HD from an Xbox import a US one, it'll save you loads and you get Progressive scan support. Ditto for Gamecube and PS-2.

Neil.

4. DDRUK_Lawrence

DDRUK_Lawrence
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    The Xbox was going though the iScan because there wasn't any other card in the plasma apart from the standard PC input and a DVI card (which is getting returned becuase 1:1 wasn't possible hence now using PC input from HD to screen but I wont go into that one) ;)

Joe @ Media Factory is sorting me out and I have asked for loan of a component to HD15 so I can plug the Xbox directly in to test before I go about buying an add-in component terminal board. I was just checking it was worth going though this testing route to begin with.

In terms of a rhythm game a delay of 0.1 / 0.2 seconds is the difference between a perfect hit and a miss.

Seems like it's worth getting a cable on loan to test direct input. I'll post my findings when I've tried it out.

5. NeilMcRae

NeilMcRae

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I use a VGA card in component mode with my Xbox and the picture is fantastic. Esp the progscan stuff from the US.

6. Jasonjo

Jasonjo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +116
    I used Xbox via an IScan HD with my PWD6 and after having some hardcore gamers around, apparently they notce the slight video delay when playing games like Halo, but not when playing something like Soul Calibour.

I personally didn't notice the delay, but I am not a hardcore halo'er ;)

JJ

7. symanski

symanski

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    The iScan is adding an extra delay in to the system as it's doing lots of video processing. I've got an XBox too, but hook it using a more direct system rather than via the iScan (which fills a space in my system - unplugged). I found the extra delays too much.

I've heard that you can get a HD lead, but need to modify your XBox to allow it to give component output. For me, I'd rather keep my XBox as a standard UK one.

All the best,

Dr John Sim.