1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Console, TFT and...?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by andy572, May 26, 2004.

1. andy572

andy572
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    After believing that I'd finally got a grasp of things, just before I was set to choose amongst my options, yesterday I read that one of the more expensive boxes wasn't even a scaler! Hellllllllp! :eek:

To set the scene, I have a Viewsonic monitor (17", 1280 x 1024 resolution, 60/75 Hz) and would like to view a Freeview box and an unmodified games console via this screen (using component or s-video to either a VGA input or, via a switch box, DVI.

Quality would be nice to have - but I don't expect anything approaching 'perfection', on my budget. All I really need to know is that I am looking at the right hardware for the purpose and perhaps, which I can 'get away with using'. Even the VTB-100 option (see below) is almost half of my monthly income and due to illness, I can't get out and view these things (if they even exist locally!) - so of course, it is important that I am careful in my selection.

On the technical side of things, I realise that some of this video hardware is only 'good' for 1024 x 768. Whilst I realise this is less than ideal, if it is of any assistance, I find the monitor's scaling to be quite useable and a lot better than I'd expected. Should the extra degree of 'messing' have a massive effect on the image, however, I'll stay away.

As I am trying :D to be brief, my current options are:

'AVT-3300 Universal hi-res video to XGA converter', £80
    Composite and s-video only. Er...

Vision VIVID VTB-100 'Progressive scan video to XGA scaler', £120
    Aside from resolution, this appears to have everything I need and a TV tuner that I don't. Hmm, I don't know...

Zinwell ProV+, £120
    Pretty much the same as above, using a different chipset. Dah-da-dee...

Zinwell Brite-View, £230
    This time, everything including resolution - minus the option of DVI output. Tummm-tee-tum...

Silicon Image/DVDO iScan range (Pro, Ultra, and HD), £400 to £1000
    During several moments of madness* yesterday, I considered one of these delights (in the AV Classifieds - not new!). Although it sang all the right notes, I wasn't sure about their order; I couldn't find any information regarding PC resolutions. Just in case the HD should magically appear in the forum for a fiver... any good? :)

*Which will inevitably return! :laugh:

Having read a lot of information (and misinformation!) and seen the occasional post on these forums, I figured it best to ask amongst people that really could know and perhaps gain some rather more comprehensive information. If my pursuits are anything to go by, a definitive response could prove rather useful to many others, too.

Woah, I just remembered...
    For those of us with unmodded consoles, ability to use PAL 50 and PAL 60 modes is important - along with confirmation that these boxes can handle 50/60Hz conversions. I have seen that some, perhaps older, boxes can't deal with PAL 60 and with this being rather common with consoles, these days, I'd consider ability to handle PAL 60 very important.

Finally, is there much of a delay introduced with the processing? I can imagine it to be quite bothersome with film/television and the racing games that I tend toward (briefly) playing; but mention of it seems surprisingly rare.

I think that's everything.

Thank you! :smashin:

2. fozziebear39

fozziebear39

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    Anyone ?? :) to resurrect an old thread...

3. darrenackers

darrenackers
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm interested to hear if anyone has any input on this?

4. symanski

symanski

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    I think you can rate the quality in order of the price of the solutions, starting from 0/10. The IScan is the best option.

Don't get hung up on resolution. Video isn't at the resolution of your monitor, and your monitor and any other equipment will be doing some sort of scaling for you.

I have tried an XBox to VGA solution and while technicall it did produce a picture on the screen, it was horrible. Noise, banding, cross-colour and many more artefacts. In short, we quickly changed to S-Video.

There will be a delay with any type of video processing unless it's done in real time (as all of my designs are). How much this will affect your game play depends on how good you are at game playing!

All the best,

Dr John Sim.

5. darrenackers

darrenackers
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've bought the XGA converter and it's rubbish, am interested if anyone has the VTB-100, and what's the quality like on a TFT screen?

6. Loada

Loada

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +48
    I use an XBox->VGA converter called the X2VGA+. It works perfectly on my Dell 1800FP TFT monitor - I can play games in 480p, 720p and the various dashboards that support progressive scan (Avalaunch, UnleashX etc) use 720p. The downside is that my monitor isn't widescreen but on a decent widescreen TFT, it would be really sweet.

Highly recommend it (forget about those cheapo "VGA boxes" sold elsewhere, this is the real thing and more importantly, it works...)

Note that to use this, you will need to have either an unmod'd USA xbox or a mod'd UK one switched to NTSC so that it can use progressive scan modes. The website has lots of useful info and the manual online iirc.

Hope that helps.

7. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    The Zinwell ProV is available from Keene Electronics for £84.99 inc. VAT. It's quite a good convertor that will accept composite video, s-video, and VGA and upscale them to 1024 x 728 at 60 or 75 Hz refresh. The downside of this unit is that it only seems to have a limited range of DAC conversion, and it's difficult to achieve good black levels and peak whites that are not crushed. However, the difference it makes to the output of a Sky+ box when feeding a projector with progressive scan is amazing, and pretty good with plasma.

8. symanski

symanski

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Nick_UK,
    as I say, if you look at the more expensive options, the quality does improve. I myself have an IScan and it does to a very good job. However, I prefered the more direct and sharper image that I can get via my own products. For the projector though, consider looking at scalars such as the IScan.

All the best,

John.

9. darrenackers

darrenackers
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0