1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Console sales, who gives a tos s?

Discussion in 'Nintendo Forums' started by Erpland, Dec 29, 2002.

1. Erpland

Erpland

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ive just been reading the 'time for a single format' thread, and notice how many people are interested in sales figures and throwing them around like some kind of weapon, one poster noting that Nintendo are getting their sorry arses kicked etc,

simple question:
    In what way are the sales figures affecting the enjoyment of your chosen console?

Shamefully I purchased the Dreamcast after it had almost stopped being produced, but it hasnt stopped me enjoying it any less.
    I just wished that I could have been enjoying it sooner and didnt fall for Sony's misleading information that some people call clever marketing.
    Maybe if Nintendo had mislead the consumer like Sony did they would be on top of the sales charts?

back to my question, I would be interested in peoples views.

2. CarlB

CarlB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +86
    Sales figures can affect your enjoyment of the console if you are concerned that it has no future due to lack of sales. I bought a Dreamcast on launch day, same with Playstation, SNES, Megadrive, N64, PS2, XBox and Gamecube. Some of these have done fantastically well and others have faltered, not necessarily because they were a worse product than their competitors.

I don't think your comment that Sony somehow misled consumers holds up to scrutiny, they did not have to mislead anyone as the brainwashed masses ignored the DC as it did not have a Sony badge emblazoned upon it. Sony had to do very little other than promise a successor to the Playstation was on the way and everyone blindly ignored a superb machine that was already available. For every person such as yourself whose eyes are opened to other consoles their are millions who are only interested in following the crowd. That's the way of all markets, but at least now you realise there are other products out there which can give equally superb experiences.

I enjoy games and so feel utterly compelled to own all platforms that are available in order that I have total exposure to all software. Not everyone is in a position to do this, and so some allegiance must be formed and most people choose the PS2. There is nothing wrong with this, it's a good machine with a great software library. I think Nintendo are going to lose out in the current round of consoles, the XBox sales seem to have rocketed this Xmas and I must say I am pleased - the power of the console will be further tapped by development of products on XBox, rather than cheap ports of PS2 titles. Splinter Cell is a perfect example of this - I know it's coming to PS2 but it was developed for XBox and the advanced power of the machine shines through. Nintendo can probably afford to take third place in the current race, as it is their 1st party software that forms their key titles anyway.

This is the most important way that sales figures can directly affect my enjoyment of games. Great sales = greater exclusive development base = better quality games for the given platform.

3. Zone

Zone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,179
    I'm sure only the lame brained are interested in sales figures, as the majority know it is "Game Play" that counts above all else.

I have all the main consoles from the last few years including the Dreamcast which was and still is a great console with some very good games ;)

I also agree Sony has marketed their systems more agressively and successfully than any other manufacturer, that in itself doesn't mean they have churned out a stream of rubbish as there are alot of excellent games, just that unfortunatley as they produce so many games obviously there will appear to be alot of garbage.

The little lady received a Nokia 8310 off Santa and I've been playing Snake2 for the last couple of hours, crap graphics great Game Play.
    Nuff said :D

PS. Only managed 492 on level 4, my 8yr old just stuffed me on level 7 :confused:

4. ytgti

ytgti
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    L:DL

The skiing game has much better graphics i thought tho.;)

5. Confucius

Confucius

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +90
    Sales figures don't matter a damn.

A Mondeo sells more than an A4, but it's the Audi that would sit on my driveway.

If YOU are happy, what else matters?!:)

6. snake II

snake II

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Nintendo are not third in the console warz xbox is im no fan boy as i have said in previuos comments but i do say this, in the states the cube sold the exact amount in november as xbox in terms of weekly sales but look at this the xbox had a promotional ofer at the time of 2 free games where as the cube was just the stand alone console, so who says nintendo getting their arses kicked i think not. Also the xbox is doing great in the uk but in europe it is still 3rd , splinter cell is a great game for the xbox but the cube and ps2 will recievev version which will have levels not included in the xbox, so i think it is not a question nintendo will be third as they are a company even though people might say they are doing s*it they are not.

hope the best for microft sony and nintendo

7. CarlB

CarlB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +86
    Until Audi decide to pull out of the hardware market due to lack of sales and just make nice seats for Ford. ;)

Sales do matter. No sales, no long term future for the hardware. Sure my Dreamcast was good, but it would have been even better if some of the proposed games been released and the hardware not died prematurely.

PS. I stand by my market prediction - PS2 unassailable, XBox in a firm second and GC bringing up the rear. I have all three so can't be considered any kind of fanboy, but Nintendo are repeating all the same mistakes for the PAL market as they did with N64. I have a US NTSC GC, so it's not a problem, but their conversion schedule for the European market is very poor. Microsoft are really getting their act together now, building on the buzz from Live and backing it up with games that appeal to the target audience such as Splinter Cell (which has downloadable levels on the XBox btw, so the extra PS2 and GC levels will be available to XBox owners).

8. bobbles

bobbles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I agree with the point you are trying to make but that is an awful analogy

How can you possibly compare the Audi A4 to the Mondeo

Look at their respective retail values. If they were the same price Audi would get 99% of the sales between the two

The Cube X-Box and PS2 are all similarly priced

I certainly think this could be the last Nintendo. They make very big loses on the console itsel. Surely they would make more money if their games were available on X-Box and PS2.

I own an X-Box an would certainly buy Zelda, Mario etc

However, for the time I can afford to spend on playing games I can not justify buying a cube. The same applies to GTA VC I would love to have that but....

I don't necessarily think we need a single format. What we do need though is not to have exclusive games tied to one format.

Imagine in the film companies brought out their own dvd players and their films were compatable only with their machines, there would be uproar

Instead of having exclusive games designed to make people buy their machines Sony etc should concentrate on making their machine better than the competition. Leaving game developers free to develop games on all formats.

9. Confucius

Confucius

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +90
    A4 runs from £14640 to £24133 (ignoring the (R)S4 versions).

Mondeo runs from £14645 to £22745.

Seems to me there's a 'bit' of an overlap there.

£ for £ it's an A4 that would get my cash, incomparable spec. or no.

I note you both ignore the main point:

"If YOU are happy, what else matters?!"

10. NeoBlade

NeoBlade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Exactly.. If you are happy you are happy. Quit moaning and support the videogame industry ^_^

As for Nintendo loosing money per console... Its true but its a very small margin. They signed a deal a good while ago so Taiwan will mass produce the Gamecubes and I'm told its costs about $100 per Gamecube made.

Compare that to the poor Xbox... Microsoft undercut the console from the start because of its hard drive, DDR RAM, ethernet adapter and GPU. With the recent-ish price drop and bundles, Microsoft are loosing even more money... Hell they won't break even for quite some time yet. The difference here though is that Microsoft can afford to loose a few million here and there and their long term plan is fairly solid. IMO The Xbox is just a guinea pig for the Xbox II in terms of infrastructure and hardware. They are basically paving the way for the future much like how Sega did with their online plans... But on a much, much larger scale.

Sales are important since it illustrates what the market wants and can help establish a true brand. We all know that the PS2 is well in the lead and can't be caught in terms of sales so its an open race for second. That battle won't be decided upon until 2004 IMO.

I'm like CarlB though, I own pretty much all the consoles since the NES and continue to enjoy every platform I own, regardless of how many polygons or sprites it can push a second.

Videogames is a form of digital entertainment and should be enjoyed as such. If you enjoy the games that you are playing then basically the industry cannot ask for more. Well maybe they could <g>

11. bobbles

bobbles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

A top of the range A4 retails at a shade under 30k

A mondeo at 22k

The average price of an A4 including all models is far higher than that of a Mondeo

Mondeo's are notorious as fleet cars and as such they lose a far higher percentage of their value over 3 years than an Audi

You seemed to miss my main point NO! I am not happy I think
    X-box signing Rare to an exclusive deal, PS2 signing many exclusive deals ... is a complete disgrace. Consumers should not be forced to buy 3 separate consoles to play games which can very easily be reproduced on all 3 systems

How would you feel if BBC decided to sell TVs and BBC prog could play on them, ITV, SKY doing the same when any of them could show programs from all broadcasters. Would you happily tootle off to dixons to buy all 12 TVs

No of course not

The current climate is a disgrace and needs to be sorted before the next generation of consoles

however, the chance of it happening is zero

I can only see it getting worse, I believe the next generation of games will be 1 format only

12. NeoBlade

NeoBlade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I can only see a one format console when the market is in true recession - When development costs skyrocket even more and profit is low. You can see how much the current videogame industry is hurting in japan... Many companies have bought shares off each other or have merged.

I really cannot see a one platform market for quite some time although it would certainly help the focus on gameplay.

As for the TV thing... The BBC has sod all thesedays as does Sky. You wonder why we pay the TV license in the beginning as many of the BBC's sports have left to join Sky or ITV. The only major event the BBC has now IMO is the Olympics.

I personally don't see that much of a fuss about owning all three consoles. If you remember a few years back a SNES with Street Fighter II would have cost you a cool £250. You can pick up an Xbox with Splinter Cell, Halo, JSR:F and SegaGT for £180.

Times have changed and prices are lower then ever before for hardware. No-one said that you have to buy all consoles and certainly no-one said that you have to buy all of the consoles at once.

IMO Owning two consoles would strike a very nice balance between exclusive games and 3rd party ones. Many are going on the cheap 2nd hand too. If you can own all three of the next gen consoles then thats great. If not then its hardly the end of the world for videogames.

You should really focus IMO on the games that mean something to you then look at the console/s that suits your need. If that happens to be all three consoles then just save up a week's wages or keep your next salary to pay for it.

If its takes longer it takes longer. Everyone here can draw up a rather nice list of wants but that doesn't mean we will have it.

"Can happiness be achieved without sacrifice?"

Afraid not, but the ones who can sacrifice intelligently without asking for the earth will eventually find happiness in the long term.

13. Robson

Robson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks, nice to see it's still getting read ;)

My intention with the original post was to point out that over the last few years. 4 consoles have been produced that all do a similar thing. I'm talking about the DC,PS2,XBOX,GC here. They all play games of similar quality. For example compare Crazy Taxi on the DC and XBOX. To the average person there's no difference. Now this may be down to a lazy conversion, but it points out that in the real world of business where profits have to be made, developers often don't update their code to take advantage of new hardware features. So my argument was then what's the point of 4 consoles when 1 would do?

To answer your question though, No! - sales figures are unrelated to Fun. But good sales do encourage developers to continue developing Fun games!

14. Sinzer

Sinzer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,108
    I admit I am a lame brain. Sorry but 2 years of studying economics left me with a desire to know numbers. Hardware sales are a good insight into how the company is performing and I am interested in that.

Unfortunately, I am unable to afford all 3 consoles as I have a home cinema and mountain bike fetish as well, however I am saving up for a NTSC PS2 so I can play some decent RPGs. I still wouldn't buy an X-Box :p

15. Robson

Robson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    As they say...the first step is denial!! ;)

16. spidermanalf

spidermanalf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +103
    I used to post on a lot of computer only boards, and they hacked me off after a while whinging about whose console is best and getting questions like 'I am 15 years old, your Xbox sux but my mum won't let me have Vice City' blah blah blah

Anyway, I do not care about sales figures, I care about GAMES, and my advise has always been the same get a job, and get every console going!!! There are only about 2 games a month that are worth buying, and in months like November and Decemeber when there are loads released, buy them in Jan and Feb when **** all is released!!! Simple!!!

17. NeoBlade

NeoBlade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Nice to see you back Sinzer ^_^ That mountain bike of yours almosts costs as much as my sub-woofer lol

IMO You should try to get a modded Japanese PS2... I'm going for one of those limited edition Zen Models. Haven't found a good site that sells a US PS2 yet. Loads of massive RPGs coming out as well in Feb or so (Star Ocean III (?), XenoSaga) then after that Unlimited Saga, Breath of Fire V, FFX-2 etc etc.

As for comparisons of 3rd party games... They are ment to be identical in terms of gameplay anyway so everyone gets a fair share. If a version is enhanced then great. If not the publishers won't give a damn since its extra potential revenue. To purely compare consoles just on 3rd party games is a bit unfair and thats why exclusive games are often important when debating on what console to get.

18. Azrikam

Azrikam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm interested in sales because I'm interested in the console war from a business perspective. But to me, it means absolutely nothing with regards to the entertainment value of the consoles.

If Microsoft had abandoned the XBox 2 weeks after launch and refused to publish any more games, then I would have been ****ed. But, I didn't buy the XBox 2 weeks after launch because IMO, it wasn't worth the price at the time. I don't buy a console for what it could be... I buy it for what it is. I didn't feel insulted or offended when the Dreamcast was abandoned, because despite the short lifespan of the console, the system was still well worth the money I paid for it.

As for the myth that the biggest selling console produces the best games, and argument could be made for the exact opposite. For the GC and XBox (which are fighting for PS2 sales), it would make sense that they are both working their a$$es off to produce better games than their competitors to narrow the gap between the consoles.

In the end, the only thing game sales do is fuel competition between the companies. And competition is good for the consumers, so I'd like to see all 3 companies with equal market share. (I know... I'm dreaming) Then, we'd see some real competition.

19. stalefish

stalefish

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The thing to do, is buy every console.
    Simple answer, they don't cost much at all compared to how much most of us spend on an average AV purchase.