1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Console for iPOD

Discussion in 'Nintendo Forums' started by G a f f e r, Apr 10, 2004.

1. G a f f e r

G a f f e r

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +484
    OK I know this is kinda like opening pandora's box but I genuinly can't decide.

I have a mac (only has one game on it, primarily used for internet and work only)

Have just given my PS2 (in the process of) to my nephews if they do well in their (10) sats. Has multitap and four controllers etc etc. (I'm already missing GT3:Aspec)

Anyway, provided they do well, I won't really have any gaming console. I have just enough money to buy something this summer, but have just seen the new (VERY tasty ) iPOD (30Gb?)

Since buying my projector, I have the ability to have high resolution images.

My question is : should I buy another console (I don't really want recommmendations on which one, any one will do) OR should I buy the oh so sexy iPOD which is probably a bit more versatile (use it at home, on the train, in a car etc etc)

yes, I know this is a console forum but I really need some persuasion to bite the console bullet again - in the longterm what with the price of new games and loss when selling on, consoles cost much more than an iPOD.

Any one with a persuasive argument for console vs iPod ?

2. supersonic87

supersonic87
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I'll be totally honest mate, I don't really like the iPods. I think the problem is, that unless, you are away from home for days, or without computer access, you'll only be listening to a cds worth of songs. The best way i've found is to just get a mp3 cd player, which is just as versitile as a iPod, but a hellof alot less, which will leave enough in the kitty for a shiny new XBox or gamecube with games (PS what? ;))

Rich :censored:

3. G a f f e r

G a f f e r

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +484
    thanx.
    the iPod can actually hold your whole cd collection (something close to 500 cds I think for the 40Gb one - though I may be wrong) so I won't be left with just one cd's worth. That's the whole point of it. I don't know how I'll find the time to stick the cd's to my mac though (8 min per 'rip' and i have 225 cds - let me see, that makes 1800 min to put onto mac (30 hours non-stop), an then firewiring it to iPod.

What might swing it for me is if they bring out any easter special offers for crystalxbox/ps2/ngc......but I keep looking at the pod and thinking what if?......

4. CMcK

CMcK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    If you have a lot of commuting on public transport an iPod would be handy. But MP3 sucks so transfer as many CD's as you can uncompressed. Or save a few bob and buy a MP3/CD player.
    Personally I find the only portable audio device I use is the Nakamichi in my Audi!

Get a chipped Xbox and run the games via your projector for hi-res gaming goodness.
    With the change buy a MP3/CD player and you'll still have spent less than buying an iPod. Best of both worlds then.

If you do decide on an iPod have a look at the Apple Refurb store, opens on a Wednesday at 1000.

5. Paul Williams

Paul Williams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    I've always thought that iPod's (and the like) don't really deliver for the money - I use a Palm Zire 71 which does loads more and plays MP3's on MM/SD cards. Though it is perhaps more power hungry?

Paul

Oh, and I'm told you can get loads of games for it, but have never investigated this aspect.

6. G a f f e r

G a f f e r

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +484
    Thanx guys.

I think you might have convinced me wrt console. But I heard that different countries have different specs for the same console so I shall have to wait to find out wether to buy a US/UK one.

BTW my bro works in Gatwick and can get duty free stuff airside, hand them in to customs, and collect them landside on the way home (that's how I got my palm tungsten minus the VAT - yes it does play mp3's but way too battery intensive, gets exhausted in a couple of hours - another reason for a dedicated player).

Apple ipod 20GB brand new for £252.73
    Chipped crystalxbox (premodded) £200 (2 xtra controllers £45)

so prices around the same...

7. G a f f e r

G a f f e r

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +484
    Update:
    PS2 has gone - nephews very happy (just need to get an eyetoy for 'em now)
    Got fed up waiting for the endlessly delayed GT4

iPod looking tastier and tastier plus - won't the next gen consoles come out soon? (ie end up with soon-to-be-defunct console if bujy current gen one now?)

8. Sinzer

Sinzer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,108
    I would buy a flash MP3 player. I have a MPIO 256meg player with the ability to upgrade to over a gig via SD. 256meg holds over 10 albums with WMA compression, tbh with in ear headphones you cannot tell the difference between that and MP3 unless you get really pedantic.

I rarely change the CDs, plus it is tiny so fits anywhere and there are no moving parts. The Ipod is nice but I cannot see how you would ever fit all the CDs onto it.

I use this player every day on my hour trip into work, walking and train and I rarely change the tracks. I even forget I have certain tracks on there as it takes ages to get to the start again.

My advice would be to get a flash MP3 player and a console, for the same price as the Ipod.

9. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +646
    I have to agree, I had a 40gig ipod and after it had 10 gigs worth of stuff on it I lost interest, constanly flicking through stuff and never really listening to anything, like having 50 games to play, never play anything properly and then get bored.
    Get somthing that can hold 10 albumbs and a console.

10. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +646
    Oh and the output level on UK ipods is useless, I wanted it for the car but it is just too quiet, same with other headphones, the supplied ones are loud enough but a little light sounding.

11. CAS FAN

CAS FAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,962
    I too would buy a 256 mb flash mp3 player. They are dead cheap, good quality sound, can store loads of high quality music and you can also use some of them as flash discs for transferring PC files to. San get them dead cheap on ebay, I was looking at importing them at one stage - a 256mb one with built in FM radio costs around £40-£50 per unit to import - they go on ebay for not much more than this. Miles cheaper than an iPOD and will you really use the extra storage??

Other than that PDA's with MP3 support are a good option if you want something more multifunctional (games, organiser, budget planner, phonebook, picture/video viewer, GPS or to run PC files etc).

12. G a f f e r

G a f f e r

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +484
    I have a spare 128MB SD card (have it as an extra to the 256Mb one in my camera) - so would be interested in an MP3 player with an sd card slot so I could stick more songs in. I would like firewire support and Mac support rather than USB / PC.

Still waiting for the Easter console offers to materialise......

13. richard plumb

richard plumb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,028
    get yourself a modded xbox. you can stream video/music from your Pc onto your TV, and play games in HD (need a Hidef pack from somewhere like liksang). Perfect for a projector with component inputs.

next gen probably not due until end 2005 at the earliest for Xbox2, probably 2006 for PS3. But if the current new wave of PC graphics cards and unreal 3 demos are anything to go by, they are really going to be something special.

14. G a f f e r

G a f f e r

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +484
    Found one.
    Sinzer, I'm not sure how this compares to your's but...

XClef MT-500 128MB (£99) or 256Mb (£119) with
    SD Card slot
    PC/Mac or even neither - direct coding from cd player via one lead
    5 eq presets (one configurable)
    30 HOURS playback on 1 AAA battery (also has extra battery pack if that's not enough!)

from "amazon uk" or "advanced mp3 players uk".

...now where's my credit card??????

15. gavan

gavan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +286

Here in Switzerland, the local equivalent of Dixons - Media Markt - is selling an mp3 player with 128 meg memory, SD/MMC slot. FM Radio, voice recorder and USB port (so you can use the thing as a card reader or memory key on a PC) for 99CHF. That's about 45 quid.......

Mind you, if you shop around you can pick up an XBox with Amped for 200CHF (90 quid).

Gav

16. CAS FAN

CAS FAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,962
    Yeah you can get 256mb ones on Ebay with radio etc for about 50 notes.

17. Sinzer

Sinzer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,108
    I ordered mine from AdvancedMP3players.co.uk, very good service, I had a problem with my first one, it wasn't compatible with my PC. They replaced it with another one and then replaced it FOC with a completely different model, all done very quickly.

I would say that it is worth getting an expensive model you pay for the build quality and ease of use.

Radio is not important I never use it and find it to be a bit limited, unless you have the models where the antenna is built into the headphones.

18. G a f f e r

G a f f e r

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +484
    Thanx guys, as you can see from the other thread ByeCube? I've got myself a NGC with 3 controllers and 2 memcards, now just need to sort out what mp3 plyer.
    Problem with e-bay? Have no idea about build quility/sound quality wrt the 256Mb ones on sale there. Plus they are US models with US chargers/warranty etc.
    Advantage of advancedmp3plyers.co.uk = UK warranty.

First need time to play around with my new toy (GC) though...............extra dosh could go towards more games instead.

19. CAS FAN

CAS FAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,962
    I guess, there are various sellers selling varying quality mp3 players on ebay. You do generally get what you pay for but I know from looking seriously at importing them from the far east myself that some of the ones you can get are great quality and pretty cheap.

Here's a link to one exporter which gives an idea of the types of products offered-

http://www.vionit.com/company.htm

A while back I bought a slim box one 256 mb for around £120 /£130 (the 128mb model is still £100) and whilst it's a decent enough player the build quality and functions are no better than many of the players off ebay that can be bought for around £50 on ebay. I have not had a problem with ebay TBH and if you buy off reputable sellers (many of which have their own websites or shops anyway) you can;t go far wrong.