1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Console for a 5 year old ..... help very much needed ..

Discussion in 'Nintendo Forums' started by Dystran, Nov 6, 2004.

1. Dystran

Dystran
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello all,

I am looking for a console for a 5 year old (for a Xmas present). I am thinking of one of the big 5 (ps2, Xbox or GC) but I have a few questions and help would be so much appreciated.

(1) He is a 5 year old, and in my mind I thought a GC would be the best option - as it "seems" to have a higher percentage of games that may be playable by a 5 year old (just my perceivement of course). But maybe I am wrong, maybe the ps2 has less percentage of games suitable for a 5 year old - but since it has so many more titles overall the number of 5 year old playable games could be the same?

(2) I think a GC is cheaper? seen some good package deals on it. But is there a good availability of secondhand games for the GC - and are new/secondhand games more expensive that those of PS2 and Xbox?

(3) Important one this - Can GC play SNES/N64 games? as I know PS2 can play PS1 games and this ability would be important. If GC cannot play SNES games, then maybe a PS2 would be better as i can pick up some childrens PS1 games and tehse woudl be nice and cheap!?

(4) I am not concerned about online gaming, using it myself or any technical trimmings - just after a low cost machine with an availability of games for a 5 year old.

(5) Finally - do any of these consoles do any young "learning" type games?

Any generral opinions would be so helpful.

Oh, and any advise on where to buy would be good hehe.

Thanks a lot

Rgds
    Gavin

2. AML

AML

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +229
    Hi there. You stated "5 big consoles" but there are only really 3 at the moment. maybe it was just a mistake! ;)

Anyway. For a 5 year old I think your best bet would be the Game Cube.
    It is geared towards the younger generation and has lots of games that will appeal to a younger person.

It is much cheaper than the other consoles, but the software isnt. But again thats roughly the same for the other consoles too!

Unfortuntely, the GC cant play N64 games since the N64 is a cartridge based machine and the GC is a Disk based system.

The PS2 is a good machine with a huge library of games and as you said a huge back catalog of PS1 games too.

As for learning games, not that many, and for those I think the PC is a better format.

There are also the Nintendo Game Boy Advance which is popular ammong children, and is very cheap.
    And also later this year a new handheld called Nintendo "DS" that might also be interesting for young children.
    These 2 handhelds are also backwards compatible, so you could buy older cheaper GBA games and still play them on the DS for example.

Do a search on the DS to get an idea of what it can do.

Just remember, a games console isnt just for Xmas, its for life! :D

Hope this helps!

3. Miyazaki

Miyazaki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +849
    Definately a gamecube.

Pokemon, Mario (party, kart, sunshine), Donkey Kong, all great games, even better for kids!

4. Marc

Marc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,081
    i would say gamecube is the more "child-orientated" but the ps2 also has a lot of children's titles, and as you say, a huge back catalogue of psone games. You can also get things like dance mats for the ps2 and eye-toy, which are both something a child would get a lot out of, so i think i would go for the PS2. Also bear in mind when the kid has gone to bed, the PS2 is far more likely to keep you amused ;)

5. CAS FAN

CAS FAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,731
    I'd say gamecube myself. Apart from having a great range of games for younger gamers (oh god I sound like that geek off Gamezville! :eek: ) it's also a more user friendly machine for them. No CD drawers to be snapped off, nice big on & off, reset & eject buttons. The wavebird controller is also superb and i'd definately recommend these for kds as they have no wires that can get tangled or can be yanked to pull the console off a shelf!

PS2 does have a good range of kids games & also the PS1 catalogue to go at - The GC has no backward compatability with the N64 or SNES as they were both cartridge based.

Another very cheap option could be the Dreamcast which has some great fun games like sonic, bust a move, crazy taxi etc. The range isn;t as good as the gamecube's but the machine can be picked up for around £20! Games are also cheap (about £5) and can be got easily off ebay.

The only one i'd really avoid for kids is the X-Box - it's strengths are in it's graphical capability & online play and the range of kiddie games isn't great.

6. SILVERBACK

SILVERBACK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +73
    cube all the way.infact NO i dont want any more kids brainwashed and created and getting hooked on the PUBE at an early age is just gonna keep the company afloat JUST KIDDING lol.yeah you really cant go wrong witha cube and besides it does has a few games for the older person to ;) so when the little on isnt playing you get your chance lol its a win win situation.

7. SILVERBACK

SILVERBACK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +73