1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Console FAQ Discussion

Discussion in 'Nintendo Forums' started by NeilMcRae, Feb 11, 2003.

1. NeilMcRae

NeilMcRae

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Please discuss the FAQ in this thread.

I've had a first cut at a FAQ covering the component/hidef. I will add some other sections as needed. Please PM me or the other gaming mods with updates or requests for FAQ's to be added.

Please discuss here.

Cheers,
    Neil.

2. Sinzer

Sinzer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,108
    Metroid Prime looks outstanding in progressive scan mode.

Can we edit this out, in the interests of objectiveness. It is a little pedantic but gives the impression that the GC has the best visuals (albeit it does :zonked: ).

Can we also add in a general gaming links to include the cheat sites etc. so we don't have a huge amount of stickies up.

3. NeilMcRae

NeilMcRae

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Good comments and I'll sort this out.

Neil.

4. Taz

Taz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Neil, Nice idea mate, able to help you out whenever I can ;)

Taz.

5. NeoBlade

NeoBlade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Stickies for the aforementioned Cheats and Walkthrough sites is a good start... A small FAQ either from the TV forums or made here about all of the available video and audio connections would also be benificial (Video = Composite, S-Video, RGB Scart, Component, VGA. Audio = Mono, Stereo, Pro Logic, Pro Logic II, DTS 4.0, DD 5.1, DTS, Neo Matrix, DD 6.1, DD7.1 and maybe THX/Ultra THX).

If you need any help though on any FAQs I will be glad to offer my services if they are required.

6. NeoBlade

NeoBlade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Forgot to mention.. Maybe Sinzer could post up a "How-To" for networking an Xbox to a PC or one just for multiple PCs... And just post some general networking tips for routers, crossover cables, setting up firewalls etc. I'm sure he'll enjoy that <g>.

7. Lex

Lex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    As FAQ means Frequently Asked Questions how about something on the differences between the three main consoles? The most asked question is "Which is the best console?" Obviously this question has no answer, but for the benefit of newbies it might be useful to outline the differences between the three, the pros & cons etc...

8. richard plumb

richard plumb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,028
    It'd be nice to know if any of the console online plans will support me just plugging it into the ADSL side of a microfilter (assuming my PC isn't switched on). Routers and stuff make my head spin, and the PC is a long way away from my consoles.

9. Sinzer

Sinzer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,108
    TBH I haven't seen which is the best console question for quite a while, I believe the three camps are fairly happy after the xmas frenzy.

Also, I believe it is a question that is hard to answer in a FAQ and the only answer I would provide, would be to go try for yourself, there are plenty of demos in games shops.

Richard : As for your online question this would be a faq for the online forum. I will write an uber guide maybe this weekend. I have a large project at work coming to the end and there is no way I have time to get away doing that during my working hours. I have sent you PM.

10. NeilMcRae

NeilMcRae

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Best console is too subjective so I don't plan to do that. Perhaps post the specifications of each? I was considering adding a section on which modchip from an import playing perspective?

Neil.

11. Lex

Lex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Sinzer, NeilMcRae,

I think you both misread my post - I did not say that we could answer the "which console is best?" question - I said we could have a comparison between the three to help newbies make their decision.

12. RL123

RL123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    How about the benefits of imports vs domestic games?

Just a suggestion :)

13. De|ta

De|ta

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hiya

A mate sent me a link to here (hi Apoc!) - i'm looking at building a VGA cable for my xbox. I'm just scouting round for information at the moment and realise this is a thread for discussing the console FAQ so i'm not going to ask for info on how to do that in here.

Anyway, I know quite about xboxs i'd say and thought i'd post in here with some resources i've found on the way.

The AV Forum at xboxhacker.net is very good for technical information.

Xbox-scene.com has a massive tutorial section for information about the various modifications that can be done to the xbox. It can be found here

They also have a huge forum with a FAQ section If you cant an answer for something in that, then search around the around forums. Be very careful to not post something thats been asked a million times before, like whats the best mod chip and such. They're not friendly to newbies who do that :s

14. Chaos Star

Chaos Star

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Think the FAQ are a little miss leading. Most MOD Chips for the X-BOX can be switched of and therefore can still be used for X-box live.

The thread would make you think that it is impossible to have a chipped uk machine and go online.

:smashin:

15. NeilMcRae

NeilMcRae

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    updated.