Question Console controller to PC keyboard and mouse transition

RetroGlide08

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Well! The last time I used a keyboard and mouse was approx 1998 and so after 21 years of controller use the move to keyboard and mouse seems to be harder then the actual pc build. I guess it’s a case of muscle memory. Anyone else start off like a complete n00b learning to walk again?

... or just keep using a controller :).

Well! The last time I used a keyboard and mouse was approx 1998 and so after 21 years of controller use the move to keyboard and mouse seems to be harder then the actual pc build. I guess it’s a case of muscle memory. Anyone else start off like a complete n00b learning to walk again?
I used to game for years on consoles and PC, but not used PC for a long time until recently. PCs work well with controllers now if you prefer to use one.

I use mouse and keyboard now for most games, especially FPS...except for Destiny which I still use a controller for, mainly because I am so used to it. Some games work better with a gamepad - football games for example. They have been designed around a gamepad for years. Other games. like strategy games, the opposite is true.

I use a controller for pretty much everything if I can. Got a nice mechanical keyboard and a decent mouse, but I'm just a bit more comfortable with the XBox One gamepad. I don't game competitively though so bear that in mind; I stick to single player games.

I never use keyboard and mouse as my PC is permanently HT bound. The controller works great and if you play a lot of CoD you get put in with console players who have shitty connections hehe. On the flipside I do want to play Disco Elysium this week which seems to be roundly agreed it keyboard and mouse. I have a really basic bluetooth logitech trackpad keyboard device that I don't think will be fun to use at all. Need to find a high spec wireless mouse.

Controller for as many games as possible. I can't be bothered to put time into learning K/M when i'm already fine with the controller.

Cheers for the input everyone. Nice to know there’s another option available 👍

You will be better with the keyboard and mouse than you ever will get on a controller. When making the switch I did find it difficult.

I initially played with both. I found a game that allowed me to learn with no restrictions like game time etc. and it just became 2nd nature. The game I used to learn on was Sea of thieves.

The controller works great and if you play a lot of CoD you get put in with console players who have sh*tty connections hehe.

This is simply not true. I play on PC with keyboard and mouse and every match, am mixed with a majority of players playing on consoles.

This is always going to be one of those subjective debates. Sure, playing with a keyboard and mouse may well get me better scores but I just like sitting back in a chair with a comfortable pad.

It's also very much game-specific. I'm playing GTA 5 at the moment, and I can see that the combat would be easier with a keyboard, absolutely. However, the driving and flying bits shout "controller" to me :). Witcher 3 plays great with a controller, and I'd never go keyboard with side-scrollers like Ori or Hollow Knight.

If you're playing competitively then that's a whole different thing.

This is always going to be one of those subjective debates. Sure, playing with a keyboard and mouse may well get me better scores but I just like sitting back in a chair with a comfortable pad.

It's also very much game-specific. I'm playing GTA 5 at the moment, and I can see that the combat would be easier with a keyboard, absolutely. However, the driving and flying bits shout "controller" to me :). Witcher 3 plays great with a controller, and I'd never go keyboard with side-scrollers like Ori or Hollow Knight.

If you're playing competitively then that's a whole different thing.

Have both plugged in, then when flying and driving is needed you can quickly pickup the controller.

If you sit at a desk then keyboard and mouse is a no brainier for fps, feels so much better controllers feel clunky and slow now in shooters to me after a couple of years on mouse, best move I’ve made after years on console 👍

Just out of interest, had anyone got experience of using the Sova or Corsair lapboards with their pc on the sofa and or the Xim Apex adapter with their consoles?

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom