1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Console Bias

Discussion in 'Nintendo Forums' started by annefromuk, Dec 5, 2001.

1. annefromuk

annefromuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Individuals are entitled to be biased.

But what gets me is the way the NPD Group report has been distorted towards the GC by certain so called unbiased web sites..

Take Computer and Videogames for an example.
    The site reckons GC is clubbing Xbox into submission - "GameCube outsells Xbox: believe!" - saying Xbox only moved 186,000 units in the same week as the GC launch.

A fuller look at the report shows that this partly true: it did outsell the Xbox in that week, but when you add on the three extra days of sales the Xbox had, it notched up an impressive 556,000 sales over the nine day period.

Maybe they had workers from Nintendo there, as they seem to work like MP's and only say what's wrong with the competition (like the fact the Xbox was delayed, but they then delayed the GC!!).

Have you noticed that MS have had no need to shout to the world, as they dont feel inadequate. And both Sony and Nintendo quote the units sold to shops and not what the consumer buys!

Anne

(some of the above taken from The Register )

2. Ono

Ono

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +110
    Without being too rude about this Annefromuk, having read some of your posts since you joined these forums I see you as being extremely biased towards the M$ X-Box.

If I remember, your first few posts all included a link to the Official X-Box Magazine. So much so I thought you were here just to pimp that site!

Do you work for M$?

3. museumsteve

museumsteve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,023
    I think we have to wait until later this month to get the full stats from NPD..but there are so many different reports and bits taken out here and there...
    Whatever the outcome, it will make interesting reading..

4. Duncan

Duncan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Anne- I think if you live in the states or spend time over there as I have done in the last 3 months you'll find that Microsoft have been more than vocal about XBox.

According to this or last months magazine Edge magazine the Ad spend for Xbox was around the 300 million dollar mark in the US alone, compared to a paltry $50m for GC. This being understandable considering that MS estimated making a multi billion dollar loss on the console in its first 2 years, and also the quite obvious fact that Nintendo has a huuugely loyal fanbase because of past successes.

But just the thought of Microsoft not supporting their baby is ridiculous- especially in the light of reports from retailers of Microsoft refusing Xbox stock in the US if the console wasnt pushed before the GameCube, these reports ARE unsubstantiated but who knows?

Nintendo dont see XBox as a rival- Sony and PS2 and PSone are where Nintendo wants to be be, as they gave away their No1 spot because of the problems with the N64. This was confirmed by Miyamoto in his recent Edge interview.

At the moment Xbox is the newboy and neither Nintendo or Sony have issued any defamotory press about Xbox- simply because they are too busy fighting it out amongst themselves- whereas in the American gaming press MS if fighting a very offensive campaign against Sony and Nintendo. This will become VERY apparent as the UK Xbox release date becomes nearer, the only reason any games magazine curries favour to any console at the moment is because they like it- and unlike many of you guys, they have played regularly on all formats- the thought of Nintendo being organised enough to get major UK magazines on their side before a release date is set is very funny, especially in the light of how they have tended to treat Europe as a third world market.

Im still chuckling at the thought of MS just sitting there quietly expecting the games to do the talking- the same company that spent billions of dollars promoting the latest version of its industry standard operating system when it is still in an unassailable position regardless of countless security holes, poor multi-tasking support, slow performance on relatively high end workstations etc etc etc......

5. pointon

pointon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Absolutely.

As good as anyone might think the XBox, it's still a brand new entry from Microsoft into the industry, where Nintendo and Sony rule.

Sega and Nintendo were for a long time the only contenders for top spot. Only Sony have managed to do what Microsoft aim to do now. They climbed over both companies and claimed the top spot for themselves. Between them, Nintendo and Sony have the market covered. Sony provides for the masses, the casual gamer, with an easily accessible and simple way to play all the regular types and genres of games, and Nintendo provides for the dedicated, knowledgable gamer with inspiration and deep gameplay.

XBox is obviously looking to knock Sony off the top spot. Microsoft would probably be happy with either comapny below them, but I really don't see it stealing away loyal lifetime Nintendo owners. As for Sony, a company that is already established, and has the power and the base to take on Microsoft's newcomer, I don't see it being all that fearful. They could just rush through and bring out the PS3 and put an end to it.

So for Microsoft to simply put the machine out there - that would be suicide. The attitude towards the XBox is already negative over here. Microsoft have to get past this, an apparent lack of decent games and a ridiculous launch price for a new console by an untested (console) manufacturer. They have to turn all this around before they can even think of going for Sony's, or (and the thought of this is quite amusing) Nintendo's heads. Even though I reckon I'll eventually end up owning a machine, my money certainly would not be on it to end up taking top spot.

6. Duncan

Duncan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'll break the habit of a lifetime and say something I like about XBox.....................

the controllers have 5 metre leads (approx we werent sad enough to get a tape measure out!!!)!!!

about time a console manufacturer realised that we have rooms bigger than 2m square.

7. annefromuk

annefromuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Only one post has had a Official X-Box Magazine link, and that was becuase I thought it had a DVD Video (later found out a VHS cassette) and I wanted the person who started the thread to get hold of something they could use on a HC setup, so they could get an idea of what to expect from a Xbox and a HC.

As towards being biased, probly, but this is not a draconian forum, we are allowed opinions.

So you believe that all the 500,000+ people who have purchased an Xbox and all the people who want an Xbox work at MS?

Anne

8. annefromuk

annefromuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry make that 2 posts with Offical Xbox mag link, which now makes 4 mentions of it including this and the last post.

Also as far as I rememberl I have not slated the other consoles other than mentioning you have to buy a modem addon for them to get online.

But ONO you have slated consoles you dont even own

Anne

9. NicolaUK

NicolaUK
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I believe they're all ignorant fools :clown: ;)

10. Gerry

Gerry

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    XBOX - A gaming console, naw, its a computer dressed up as a gaming console.

11. Jenz

Jenz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Please keep this Thread focused and to the point. I'm concerned that it will degrade into bitter name calling.

Jenz.