Considering Wireless Media Server

craigyl

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

Looking for some advice regarding setting up a Media Server.

I'm thinking of purchasing a Netgear MP101 but no very little about wireless networking.

The question I have in do I need a wireless router or would a simple USB key style ethernet adaptor do the trick?

I only have one pc so I don't need access for laptops and such, just a simple connection from my pc to the MP101.

Thanks for the help!

You would need an access point, they don't work very well with ad-hoc networks.

I have reviewed the various players here:
http://www.hifiwigwam.com/forum7/92.html

If you have any questions or need any help setting it up, drop me an email to andrew at audiofi.co.uk , I sell and install these so have one of each and will be happy to help.

Andrew

funnily enough I bought a MP101 myself today, had trouble finding one off the shelf as they have now been discontinued.

Picked up a Factory refurb unit with a 3 month warranty for £45 off Ebay in the end.

I have read loads of posts recommending to not even bother with the supplied software and go for Twonkyvision software instead. So wil give this a go.

Yes, definitely go for twonkyvision, the supplied software is pretty terrible and prone to crashing a little too often!

Always worth checking for firmware updates as they often offer quite significant improvements. I bought mine when they were first released and it was quite unreliable at the time with lots of bugs and missing features, but a few firmware updates and it is a lot better!

Andrew

Video and pictures if your client can support them (but the MP101 can't).
You also get the opportunity to add new sort preferences (think menu items on the MP101) so if you are frustrated that you only get "Artist>tracks" with the MusicServer you can choose to add Artist>Album>Track if you upgrade.
I keep meaning to do it for that reason but I'm 5 miles from my musicserver when I think about it :)
Also I get the impression that Twonky are a small company and the software is very good and well supported so the £10 to register it is worth it to keep them developing.

Thanks for the help Andrew, so I definately need a router then? The Netgear website lists an ethernet adaptor under system requirements, not a router. Is this incorrect or just more trouble than its worth?

I think the ethernet adaptor would be to use it on a wired connection, rather than wireless.

It is possible to do an ad-hoc network using a USB key or similar, but it is very temperamental and to be honest an access point is about £30 and a USB key is about £20 so for a £10 saving its not really worth it.

There seem to be loads of netgear wireless aceess points (refurbs) on ebay at the moment which are very cheap so one of those would be a good choice.

If you need any help setting it up, just let me know

Andrew

OK got MP101 installed and working a treat with TwonkyVision media server (basically sets itself up!!) fantastic software and worth £10 of anyone's money.

Only have one problem though; the MP101 flatly refuses to connect to the Belkin Router on my WLan if I have WEP turned on.

I've tried both 64bit and 128bit, using passphrases or manually entering Hex keys myself no luck (other devices on network connecting fine) Also tried 11b mode on router and mixed mode on router.

Anyone else had similar problems connecting Netgear MP101 to non Netgear routers.

Other than this minor issue I'd recommend it to anyone considering a first dip into streaming wireless music, just plug it into your Hi-Fi Amp or surround sound amp in the living room and listen to your whole MP3 collection (I have about 30Gg ripped)

Navigation menu is similar to that on my NW-HD3.

I just bought a refurbished MP101 from Ebay. Got it set up on an Ethernet cable with Twonkyvision very easily. I then spent the rest of the evening trying to get it to work wirelessly. I now know more than I ever wanted to about DHCP, fixed IP addresses, subnet masks, SSID and WEP. I then had a brainwave and turned off my TV's videosender and it connected first time.
I had no problems with the WEP, however I am using a Netgear router. If you have the WEP authentication on the router set to Automatic, you could try fixing it on Open. Also go to the Netgear site and download the latest client firmware.
I am now dreaming of ripping all of my CD's onto a big hard drive in a lossless format and streaming to a good quality media player. I better start saving! :smashin:

Well there are postings on the Netgear forum complaining that Netgear routers don't work well with the MP101 so it may not give you the answer that you want.

Bear in mind that the MAC address can be sniffed and reused to get into your network - it's not as secure as WEP or WPA by a long chalk.
Doesn't bother me as there are plenty of unsecured Wireless LAN around me so any script kiddie will be having a go at them first. I don't keep anything super sensitive on my PCs and the only one that stays on when it's not in active use is the music server.

Well after a week of using the MP101 with wireless I have become bored with the unreliability of it - slow and unreliable connecting, losing the connection whilst playing music - and as I already have an ethernet cable running to the sitting room, I have put in a switched hub and run a cable to the MP101. It cost £20 but now it just works. :clap: :clap: :clap:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom